1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM 2009 problem

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by Stephen L, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

Yes, I know I should upgrade to new software from time to time but if something is working I tend to carry on using it and have found it does what I want it to do. It has survived Windows updates from Vista through to Windows 10 without any problems.

I use FTM 2009 but only with data on my computer and not online. The program does not start this morning. Is that because it is 10 years old? I still have the original CD so could install it again.

Should I upgrade to a newer versions of FTM? I have today seen the threads here about support for FTM coming to an end at some point.

I expect I should upgrade to another program but would need to get FTM working again with my existing files first.

Thanks in anticipation of advice.

Stephen

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

FTM is live and well. There was a period when it unsupported by Ancestry but they sold the rights and it was taken up be another company which had made some significant improvements. It still works perfectly well as a stand alone product you do not have to sync, I very rarely do.

I think the upgrade from 2009 is supported but if there is an issue their 24 hour live chat facility will soon get you sorted.

3. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

I'm still using FTM 2006 which works perfectly with Win7 Pro. It's by choice, as I like the layout. I tried FTM 2012 and was never comfortable.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

For the benefit of others following this thread, only the latest version (2017) allows syncing with Ancestry. If you're not going to sync with Ancestry, then FTM probably isn't the best program you could choose.

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Note that Windows 7 will stop receiving any support or security updates in 379 days. After that time connecting it to the internet is definitely not advised as the levels of attacks targeting its flaws is predicted to soar given that so many people have yet to abandon this outdated operating system.

6. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

I run Win7 in a virtual machine inside Win10. It's only there for legacy programs.