1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM Companion Guide

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Nov 16, 2018.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I received an e-mail yesterday with an offer to buy a Companion Guide for FTM Is this worth buying? The offer is for 40% off the regular price and is only for four more days. The price seems reasonable. I do not do much with my FTM program, as witness my questions about colour coding, so will this be helpful to have?

I hope it is ok to put the link https://www.mackiev.com/offers/comp_guide/comp_guide_win.html?edition=ca

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

This looks the same as the Companion Guide available free on-line from the Help menu in FTM 2017. It's a pdf so you could print it out yourself (though at 330 pages I wouldn't recommend it!). It's also fully searchable (though I actually prefer the searchbox in the online help to searching a pdf). Personally, I wouldn't bother paying for the fancy paper copy unless you much prefer printed manuals to on-line ones.

3. canadianbeth

Well, it just shows how little I know about the program. I did not realize that the Guide was there. I have been scrolling through and definitely think having a paper copy would be a lot easier to work with, although I could maybe just print the pages that were relevant; I mean I already know most of the first section. With my online e-reader instructions I just printed specific pages. My husband's Nutbrown cousin had a book published of that family; we have a copy; but I will not be making one for any of my family. But I have three more days to decide...

4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I'm happy reading on-screen, but I know many people prefer to read paper copy. At least you can look at the content before you decide whether to buy, or whether just printing out relevant sections will be sufficient.

5. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I agree, particularly for all new "gadgets". I have found that with on-line instructions there seems to be a lot of assumed knowledge. (And I guess that it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks!)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GrahamC

GrahamC LostCousins Member

Even when the on-line version and paper version are identical I prefer to read the paper version. My eyes seem to jump around the screen when reading on -line.

7. canadianbeth

I did order the paper version. Back on the 17th. Not here yet of course.