1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Useful Lancashire Resources

Discussion in 'More Lancashire Resources' started by RosemaryC, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, I've updated the link.

2. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Wigan Baptisms St John's RC, Wigan 1830-1850
    Does anyone know how to access these records other than going up to the Preston Record Office? Ancestry, FMP, The Genealogist don't appear to cover this period. Lancashire OPC doesn't have any baptisms for this church for this period under any name.
    I am trying to trace my Irish roots back but all I know is that they were born in Ireland around 1810 and arrived in Wigan around 1833. At the moment it looks as though they all changed their names on the boat coming over. I suspect they may have come from the north of Ireland but not necessarily Northern Ireland as we know it today.

Any tips on how to move forward to go back greatly appreciated!

3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Tracker, St John's RC baptisms 1732-1738 1739 1740 - 1900 are noted on the Wigan Family and Local History Society site as being on microfiche but not available on the internet, they are held at the Museum of Wigan Life.

4. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Thanks Heather, I will contact them and see if it is possible to get a copy.
    Tracker