1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM won't sync

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by jorghes, Apr 26, 2018.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Not sure if this is because I have updated my running program to High Sierra, but FTM has stopped syncing for me.

It goes through the motions and then fails at the last hurdle every time. It also is not showing the list of people within the tree in the program.

As far as I know my Ancestry tree is untouched.

Anyone else have any ideas?

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Sorry Jorghes, but I was only thinking this week that I actually can't remember the last time a FTM sync failed. I assume the 'Green' OK to sync symbol was showing top right? I see from 'High Sierra' you use a Mac so yes, the problem might well lay with an update.

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Thanks Bob - I finally found how to access the update and everything is working properly again!

4. Bob Spiers

Have to eat my recent words about not being unable to Sync FTM with Ancestry, because I have been unable to do so now for over a week. Mind you it is a case of not being able to proceed, because of the (so called) Red Weather Forecast 'STOP' light from Mackiev; interspersed with the occasional 'Amber' "Proceed at your peril" which I have no intention of disregarding. They place the ball in Ancestry's camp of course and I do not doubt that is where it belongs at the moment, because I have also found Ancestry lacking in other regards also. Let us hope things get back to normal soon.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

"Some users have recently been experiencing technical issues when using Ancestry.com. We’re currently undertaking a series of planned system enhancements that may result in intermittent site issues through Thursday, May 31, 2018. Once complete, they will improve site performance and enable more records, more hints, and more connections, making the platform even more valuable for our community. Please know that your data is safe with us. All the work you have done on your trees will be preserved even if you are experiencing some difficulties as the result of this upgrade. We appreciate how frustrating this has been and thank you very much for bearing with us during this period."

https://www.facebook.com/AncestryUS/posts/10155372220851630

6. Bob Spiers

Well I log in to Ancestry Co. Uk., but I daresay this explains MacKiev's Sync alerts. Thanks for posting about US technical issues.

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Bob, I think you'll find that there is only one database behind Ancestry? Or do you think they duplicate every tree and all records on each of the Ancestry sites around the world? And do you think they have different UI's for each site?

If there are network issues with the .co.uk site, I quite often change to the .com site and carry on. I find this particularly useful if I can't get a record to open.

8. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I am also getting the red do not sync message, hopefully they will sort it out soon.

9. Bob Spiers

Yes of course, no doubt about that as per the number of times I forget to reset to UK & Ireland and get umpteen hits based in Iowa or similar. Mind you I never thought of exiting and trying Ancestry. Com for 'better the devil you know' reasons.

Reminds of the recent 'set to' with Amazon.Com when trying to get them to transfer gift vouchers sent by family to me from Bermuda (in US dollars) over to Amazon Co.UK and convert to Sterling. A complete NO-NO. Nor would they allow Gift Vouchers received to be used to towards purchasing new Gift Vouchers to send out, that applies regardless of which Amazon you use. They reminded that although Amazon had one corporate image, they operated quite independently. But, they insisted, there was nothing stopping me ordering something from their range (other than a Gift Voucher) and having it delivered in the UK. To encourage me to do just that they offered me a $25 gift voucher.

The comical thing was I did just that and ordered an electronic item that appeared exclusive to Amazon. Com and shipped from the USA. I half expected a delivery surcharge and certainly to have an extended wait, but to my complete surprise it came 3 days later and the packaging indicated it clearly came from an Amazon UK depot. A week later Amazon Co.UK asked me to provide a review of the product. Make of that what you will.:eek:

10. Bob Spiers

This morning I had no option to use the com. site after Ancestry co.uk refused to play ball after several attempts. I Googled and selected Ancestry.com and that opened without a problem although it prompted me to sign in. Will stay with it today and see if co.uk responds tomorrow. The world wide web is getting like the roads...too many pot holes and too much traffic.

11. Bob Spiers

Ancestry is currently giving me the 'willies'. When I open my Browser the pinned tab given over to Ancestry Co.Uk opens with 'Cannot reach page'. So - following Tim's previous advice - I switch to Ancestry.Com which (so far so good) opens, although it takes its time. I proceed to work with Com and a little later (more on a whim than any need) click on the UK tab which also opens. So I then have the two side by side in different tabs and can work in either.

The UK versions seems to want the COM tab open for reassurance.o_O Of course tomorrow or the next day it will open first time and prove me wrong, but for now Ancestry Co.uk is- using the proverbial cockney idiom...'a cow son'.

12. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

This afternoon when going to view one of my online trees I suddenly got a message saying Ancestry thought I might be a bit of malware and made me do one of those little puzzles to prove I was a real person not a nasty person trying to infect their site :mad: it recommended I did a virus scan which I did with no problems showing. Its the first time I have ever had anything like that. I would not mind but I had been happily surfing the site off and on all afternoon. Anyone else had something like this?