1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Does anybody use the Family Historian program?

Discussion in 'Family Historian' started by BettyJ, Feb 28, 2017.

1. BettyJ

BettyJ LostCousins Member

Just wondering if anybody is using (or has used) the Family Historian genealogy program. If so, any thoughts on it or information about it?

2. Martin C

Martin C LostCousins Member

I decided to switch to Family Historian a year ago. Setting aside the difficulty of the move, I am glad that I did so. The programme is not perfect, but for me its merits outweighs those imperfections. I find that it loads much faster than my old genealogy programme, is far more robust, and far more flexible. I quite like the layout, but would welcome even more flexibility to suit my own style. I make extensive use of what it calls Custom Queries and good use of Plugins written by those more competent at programming than myself. I should probably also make better use of some features; its web search for example may be of more use to others than myself. We are of course all different, and you may find these features abhorrent. The thirty day free trial was a bit too restrictive for me, but it does give a reasonable opportunity to test out the basic programme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JudithB

JudithB LostCousins Member

I've been using it for a few years and find the basics easy to use, but wish there were courses nearby as I'm sure I could do more if only I knew how. I'm better at being shown something than trying to follow instructions from the manual.

4. Martin C

Martin C LostCousins Member

Have you looked at the articles available on YouTube, Judith? As with anything on YouTube the Family Historian articles probably vary in quality, but then my experience of course tutors has been pretty variable too.

5. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

I use Family Historian and in the very latest edition you can get hints from Find My Past. I've been able to break down a few brickwalls using the FMP/Family Historian Hints :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. KC4

KC4 LostCousins Member

I know it is sometime since these postings but .......... I would agree with this comment. “Family Historian” has been my genealogy program of choice for several years. I like its wide-range of facilities and its flexibility. I originally intended it as my non-internet storehouse for my trees, using other programs (eg Roots Magic) to connect with the internet. However I have found the FMP links useful in that they stress the official records rather than sometimes dubious information in "family trees."

7. ChrissieML

ChrissieML LostCousins Member

I've used FH since...... oh, forever. Originally chosen because it stores the data as a GED that can be uploaded to sites without much hassle. However, as soon as they introduced the FMP etc hints feature I turned that off as I am pursuing One-Name Studies and they would just overwhelm and confuse me.

8. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have it on my computer but am not sure that I really like it. I cannot seem to get past the home page and if I click on ancestors I just get them up to my 2x great-grandfather when I know there were more on the GED that I transferred over from FTM. I had pretty much forgotten I even have it until I saw the new post.

9. JudithB

JudithB LostCousins Member

Sorry I have taken so long to reply Martin. Thank you for your suggestion.

10. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I am thinking of buying Family Historian before I add anymore to my husband's tree. I bought RM because it was cheaper but don't like it as much as Legacy which I use for my own tree. If anyone has anything to add I would be interested. I don't like the layout of RM and find it fiddly.

11. KC4

KC4 LostCousins Member

Family Historian is available for you to try, if you haven't already:

[​IMG]

30 Day Free Trial

"Try Family Historian free for 30 days. After 30 days you must purchase a licence, and be assigned a registration key, to continue using the program."

12. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thank you,KC4.

13. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I think I had a trial two or three years ago so can't have another. I wasn't sure I liked it then and ended up buying RM as it was cheaper but not really happy with it. I use Legacy for my family and RM for my husband's. I really like Legacy but don't want 2 trees on it so may just go for FH .

14. canadianbeth

I have Family Historian on my laptop but just recently bought a new desktop. I cannot figure out how to get it onto the new computer. I tried exporting it with a USB stick but that did not work. There does not seem to be anywhere on the actual website to sign in and ask. It did not move across when the shop did the setup, nor did I expect it to do so. If I had a CD I could do it but everything was done online. FTM just gave me a download link but if FH has one I cannot seem to communicate with them to ask for it.

ETA: I just checked my old e-mail folders and found the download link, as well as the registration number, so was able to re-install it. Good thing I saved it. :) After I had asked for a new trial but will just ignore that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  15. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I am glad you retrieved Family Historian. Presumably you were happy with it then?

16. canadianbeth

I am still getting used to it. I use FTM primarily.

17. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Well I have just bought it and transferred gedcom from RM.
    I think I like it as in some ways it is like Legacy. I used FTM years ago but thought it was a bit too expensive to replace.
    FH is actually more expensive than Legacy or RM wa but I hope it is worth it. Had a play and it seems ok.

18. canadianbeth

I updated mine and notice that there are FMP and MyHeritage hints for the four main people on the main page. I do not see any though for other people when I open the ancestor diagram. I do like the fact that it draws a line between the two first cousins (my great-grandparents) who married.

I find it strange however, that although I transferred the GedCom from FTM, no information is given on my husband's family, even though it is all there in FTM. At least in the ancestors diagram. I see his parents' names on the home page and if I click on them, I see his grandparents, and so on when I click on each name. But not in any of the actual charts.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  19. canadianbeth

Does anyone know how to delete a person from the list? For some reason, the program has added one of my grandsons with two different names. He is only there once in FTM so I do not understand how he managed to wind up in Family Historian with two. And neither is my son's last name. I discovered it when looking at the ancestor and descendant diagram. Clicking on it shows me a list of every name and he is there twice. I cannot find where to remove him.

20. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

This is based on v6.2.7:
    - select "records window"; icon = "drum"
    - right click the person to delete in the list and select "properties" from the pop-up
    - left click "display in focus window; icon = magnifying lens
    - close the pop-up
    - right click the person to delete and select "delete record
    - confirm deletion

Phil

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1