1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Out of Condition?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Pauline, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Looking at an 1838 marriage in the BTs for West Littleton GLS (images at Ancestry), I was amused to see in the ‘Condition’ box the couple were described not as bachelor and spinster (or widower/widow) but as ‘humble’.

This was the first marriage using the new register format, and at the next marriage in February 1840, the couple were again described as humble. However, by September 1840 the clerk had evidently twigged, and the next couple were described as bachelor and spinster.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Pauline - I'll ask Ancestry if I can use the image in my newsletter.