1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Hints at Findmypast

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by peter, May 23, 2016.

1. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Katie, perhaps there is a cookie based "try again/continue" mechanism that activates the next time you connect?

Unlike Ancestry, hints are (currently) only supposed to be searched for when a person's details change or everybody for an initial load. My first upload was aborted and automatically restarted, but created a second tree of the same name. I deleted the first one but the second didn't get hints until I changed one person and then only that person had hints (within an hour or two). I also selected the 1939 register search link for that person which did not find anything, purely because the person married in 1938 and the search was for the maiden name :confused: - yes, the marriage fact was included. Some further tweaking needed, methinks.

Phil

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Thanks for your input Bob.
    I wonder if deleting the old tree first and then uploading the new tree using the same name would retain the "memory" of the original?

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

An interesting point but I tend to think NOT (retain the memory that is) and for the same reason I gave about computer logic...'It doesn't exist therefore it isn't' ... sort of thing. Once you select 'Delete' will follow the inevitable ... 'Are you sure'? Followed by a message to the effect: 'you will lose all data, facts/media, etc etc' Adding it back with a new gedcom upload even using the same name should not change this - but of course I could be wrong.o_O

All I do periodically in Tree Management is update my Tree title so (e.g.) 'XXXXX-Jan16' becomes 'XXXXX-June16' once Saved. Thereafter my Tree has a new name (content unchanged) and the old one is archived for whatever life Ancestry accords a Tree that no longer receives input. I know from experience that after updating the Tree title and shortly after conducting an 'other tree match' search, my old Tree will be offered as a likely match (which never fails to amuse me) but within about a month it ceases to be shown.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Multiple versions of the same tree can be confusing for other users so it's good that you include the date.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend deleting old trees. As Peter mentions,
    1. They can be confusing
    2. As they are not maintained, they will become more and more out of date
    3. They will start to provide incorrect hints on people in more recent versions that you have corrected
    4. They will slow the performance down for all users
    Keep backups on your own pc or Dropbox etc., but it makes sense to only ever have your latest version online.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Bob Spiers

I take your point Tim and largely agree, all you have to do now is explain how I delete something that is no longer in existence; at least to me. Unlike Trebor's hyperthetical question asking if by deleting a Tree and then uploading its saved Gedcom would it -if given the same name - retain the memory of the former, I do NOT delete, merely rename and redate. Yes I admit the previous name(s)/dates(s) appear to stay in an Ancestry archive for a while as I mentioned, but then are (I presume) deleted, as they do not show for long. The ONLY Trees that show in 'Tree Management' profile are all existing Trees with current names. So, as I said, I see no way of deleting something that ostensibly does not exist. Perhaps I will ask Ancestry how long before they delete Trees after a renaming, and see what they say!

Of course I have saved Gedcoms for all previous incarnations - and incidentally with each rename I also upload same to GR and this removes the existing Tree as GR take pains to advise. I also have backups in FT programs on my PC's and my online Tribal page websites. However I have no cloud type backups, especially not Dropbox which I did have but removed after learning it was the cause of W10 Start menu problems for me and many other people. (Details on request).

I no longer have need to upload Gedcoms to Ancestry although as part of my Management routine I regularly download and save its Gedcoms. These are uploaded to such as FTA, occasionally GenPro and of very recent date to try out FMP Trees.

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Bob,

My post wasn't really directed at you :) Just a recommendation to one and all about good data processes. I think we've all seen trees from the same people on Ancestry, all in different stages of completion. Just so annoying!

I was being generic when I said Dropbox etc., because I didn't want to list them all. So have you tried One Drive then? That's MS so should work for you.
    Makes you wonder if this is another attempt by MS to make non MS products problematic with their OS's.

8. Bob Spiers

Yes quite agree and I think such apparent duplications ARE without doubt caused by uploads of additional (emphasis additional) Gedcoms which are merely updates of what went before. This is where your advice to delete previous comes into play.
    Yes I do have One Drive although I only use at the moment for my Excel spreadsheets mainly to allow access on other devices. As for your comment on Dropbox v Microsoft's Windows 10 Start Menu incompatibility, I can assure you that accords with the opinion of many.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  9. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Getting back to Hints at FindMyPast, there does seem to be some improvement in the service. The initial rush is over and FMP does seem to be able to accommodate new tree input in a much more timely manner.

I have mentioned before that I keep a separate tree for each surname (more or less) with software links between trees. This enables me to easily submit small trees to FMP for testing purposes, say about 50 individuals, and these now get loaded in less than 30 seconds. I then look at the loaded tree immediately and find an initial set of hints already identified - often 5-10 items for each individual. Be prepared to spend quite some time accepting/rejecting these initial hints.

I am still disappointed with some of these hints as many of these initial items seem to be the same as those already included in my tree(s). At first, I was not expecting duplicates to be presented but now I think that I understand why they are shown for my consideration. FMP does not make any judgement regarding any of the data. For instance, married women in my tree are recorded in the Gedcom file with their maiden surname but FMP reports hints using their married name from the appropriate documents. Hence an apparent discrepancy for me to resolve. Also, I record location information from census records as a 'postal' type address rather than street/village/parish/town/registration_district/county etc. Presumably, FMP would not show hints where all data matches the tree exactly but I am not about to change what I record.

I am still trying to find the best way in which to give feedback. The quick survey offered is only interested in positive comments to support what one likes about the new facility! Some of my census data is not recognised as such by FMP. I don't know why as it looks good to me in the Gedcom file and is accepted by FTA (not just in notes).
    eg.
    1 CENS
    2 DATE 03 APR 1881
    2 PLAC Pride Hill, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
    2 SOUR @source00462@
    0 @source00462@ SOUR
    1 TITL RG11/2649/23/39 @@ 1881 UK Census
    1 PUBL Publication Date: 03 APR 1881
    2 CONT Media: Census

I have just received an email to inform me that new hints have been identified for 3 tree members. These are for Shropshire Baptism records which I had not yet added to my tree so perhaps things are headed in the right direction.

10. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

My hints have not changed since the first "rush". They all show information from BMD and censuses which are already in my GED. No new information has emerged.

11. Bob Spiers

Yes the same for me and as I thought and said before, somewhat of a post code lottery where the post code relates to your research area of interest. I suppose it can only improve as new data is added, but for the moment I have given up looking as Ancestry is quite active in providing me with its own hints and these are keeping me busy for now.

12. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

There has been no addition to hints for two weeks. The list is still crammed with BMD stats which are already in the tree and there is no simple way to clear them out. A sprinkling of hints refer to census entries but provide no clue why they have been offered when hundreds of others have not. But that also applies to the BMD entries. No suggestions have emerged from US, Irish or Australian entries and no sources such as newspapers and parish records. Perhaps my tree is in a massive queue and will be updated some time in the future, so I'll revisit in a few months.

13. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I am in a similar situation which is why I have submitted several small trees rather than one large one. I have received additional follow-up hints within the last 2 weeks - see my last post above.

I think that FMP could give more explanation about precisely how this hints facility works but in the meantime I would suggest that the large number of apparent duplications of hints for facts which you already have recorded in your tree is due to slight differences in the data shown. If there is a complete match then the hint will not be presented. However, if you have included an extra middle name from another source then FMP offers the hint for your assessment. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to clear these hints other than to agree that they are for the same individual and then to skip the data merge.

Work through 'quickly' eliminating as many hints as possible for each individual in turn so that when further hints get presented in future, they are readily apparent. Hints will only be offered for those individuals that you have updated in the FMP tree so it is probably better to clear all hints for a few people than to go through and delete just a single hint from many/all individuals.

14. SarahLC

SarahLC Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

Has this changed? I am coming late to the game and finally got around to uploading my tree to FMP. There is a box “Public Tree” to tick, along with a highlighted query “Why should I keep my tree public?”

The answer given is:”Public trees allow you to connect easily with others who share your research interests and ancestry”

Sorry if this has already been discussed -- I've been away from reliable internet for the past 6 months.

15. peter

There's no change that I'm aware of - there are no public trees at Findmypast and possibly never will be. Though if 90% of users ticked the box I suppose they might think again....

16. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Of Course, using the hints on a Rootsmagic Tree means the tree does not have to be put online. So far I just have a look at the hints which are mostly BMDs which I already have. I ignore the accept/reject and just take a look at some that look to be possible leads.

17. peter

The information in your tree must be transmitted over the Internet in order to generate the hints. It's probable that the information from your tree isn't stored, but deleted (I understand this is what Family Historian does) - however it's worth checking the small print, just in case.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I've just waded through this thread before posting and had forgotten that I had posted 23 Oct 2016 regarding my use of FMP hints through Roots Magic.
    Other sources for the hints (on RM) are from Family Search and My Heritage. (I understand Ancestry Hints can be accessed also, but there seem to be some issues with syncing; I don't use this myself because I can search Ancestry through my subscription)

But I would like to make a point about privacy/living people. Because I do not subscribe to My Heritage, their hints display rather like those on Ancestry when you do not have a subscription (i.e. indicates the detail that would be available, were you to take out a subscription). However, this not only applies to 'vitals'. Where the hint is for My Heritage family trees, the tree owner's name is given to enable you to contact them were you have a subscription.
    Also displaying are the names and vitals of not only deceased family members, but living also....even those of my children's generation. Although this is a privacy issue, it has helped me to confirm, and make contact with, several second cousins who have/had trees with My Heritage.

19. peter

Are you saying that it's rather like LostCousins, where you'll see what others have entered provided you have entered the same relatives? Or are you seeing information for living relatives who aren't in your tree - which is clearly a serious privacy issue.

A concern with My Heritage is that they don't seem to have the same attitude towards privacy as other well-known sites; that may be because, being an Israeli company they're not subject to the data protection regulation that applies in Europe and the US.

20. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes Peter, I am suggesting serious privacy issues. One of these hints has details entered some years ago by the 'manager' of the tree, who sadly died 4 years ago. His children and grandchildren( nor their spouses for that matter) may not be aware that the information is online.