1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Grove Hall Lunatic Asylum

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Humpty, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Humpty

Humpty LostCousins Member

I realize Grove Hall, Bow was a private asylum and as such there may be no records to access, an ancestor was there in 1861 (census) and appears to have disappeared, have not been able to find a death should asylum deaths have been treated in the same way as others? should there be GRO records? Jan

2. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

In theory any death in the UK should have a GRO record. Possible reasons for not finding a record include they did not die, the death was recorded in a different district (moved to another site for autopsy for example) or the name has been miss transcribed from an index (the most common problem.)
    Is the name one that could be easily spelt differently? Have you tried creative searching with wildcards? Have you tried the GRO search? As these have been mostly retranscribed from original records they stand a better chance of being recorded correctly.

3. Humpty

Humpty LostCousins Member

Thanks, The name has been miss spelled or miss transcribed in many census forms and BDM registrations. I have tried wildcards, the GRO search everything I can think of have even gone through the GRO records in two year intervals.