1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Canadian Great War Project

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Heilan Lass, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Heilan Lass

Heilan Lass LostCousins Member

This Canadian Great War Project is endeavouring to identify every Canadian or other nationality who served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in World War 1. Work on the database is ongoing with over 151,955 entries of individual soldiers (at the time of this post).

The site can be searched by name here, and the sort of information you can find includes Unit in which served, place and date of enlistment, next of kin, date and place of birth, cause of death, etc.

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Based on the project for Remembrance day this year this excellent geo map was created in a newspaper article and aptly named grief's geography.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The Canadian Great War Project seems to have stalled - it was mentioned in Dick Eastman's newsletter today as having 'over 159,681' records, which isn't much of an advance in the past 6 months. Library & Archives Canada has 600,000 records, including images of attestation forms, so it's probably the best place to start.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The Great Canadian War Project is back on line, it has not been updated much but what it has is brilliant so here's the link

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The Great Canadian War Project has set up a partnership with the University of Victoria with a new search engine which is worth looking at in its beta version. You can now search for a soldier using 14 parameters. Ideally you would use at least one beside surname and I was able to narrow down a search where there was a missing digit from the soldier number. The search results provide a link to the C.E.F. records and to other information that volunteers had shared about individual soldiers.

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The GCWP now links to the new version of the CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) records , check out this example. Sadly their old format will not link to the new version.

7. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Just a reminder that the links to the original site are still viable. It's a very useful way to check out the basic details for many of those who served in WWI. One of the most useful for my personal projects is WWI Canadian Nurses particularly as most of the links to the digitised CEF records work.

8. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Although it's still a beta version the Canadian Great War Project at its new home is very reliable. I use it for all my on line references as it's very convenient for anyone not familiar with the various record sources. Here's a French Canadian Soldier .

9. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Update, this is still the best one place source for tracing men and women who served with Canadian forces in WWI .
    There has been some progress on the war diary project and I still generally recommend the University of Victoria version.
    There are a few odds and ends which haven't moved to the new format and I still use the old version for text searches