1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

COWELL, Cain, Quirk, Cottier, Cooper, Twatch, Crellin 1650-1810

Discussion in 'Isle of Man' started by Maid of Kent, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Couldn't leave this section of the Forum bare so am just adding my lot. Hope to do more on them and find lots of rellies in due course.

Maid of Kent

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Valzie

Valzie LostCousins Member

I used to know a charming, handsome elderly gentleman here in London, Ontario, Canada, who was named Roy Cottier and had been born on the Isle of Man. One of your relatives? He died about 5 years ago and would have been in his late 70's or early 80's.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Oh Valzie, how I wish I knew. I have just the one name in my Tree and that is Catherine Cottier b.about 1755 and she was my 4 x gt.g.m. I have never done anything at all with her and now I am inspired to look more into who she was. Thanks for your message.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, I have Quirk and Quark in my tree.

5. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Tim, this sounds a bit Extra Terrestrial. Any Spocks?

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Tim

:) None as yet.

7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I take it you have evidence of the Quark from the large hadron collider here in Switzerland?

8. Tim

Yes, Isle of Man 1841 and 1851. We should claim copyright. :)

9. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

My Elleanor Quirk (Cowell) is living with her husband William Cowell (Cowle) and their youngest child, John b.1826 in Malew in 1841. In 1851 they are farming 6 acres, still with John, at Barrule Farm, Malew. By 1871 William is widowed, 88, living with his unmarried daughter Eliza, age 56. Any connections Tim?

10. Tim

Mine are all Ramsey.

11. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

OK - good luck with them.

12. PoTTerTea

PoTTerTea LostCousins Member

I have a number of family from IOM one of whom was the first man born in IOM to cultivate the first Apple tree on the IOM also he was an engineer and an inventor.

Kewley - Quay - Cannell - Kiley - Crow

It has been said that Manxmen have not been especially notable as inventors. However, a newly-mounted library exhibition based on family documents and heirlooms kindly lent by Mr L J Kewley of Port Erin, aims to set the record straight, with particular reference to a most gifted Manxman, who has unaccountably been neglected by posterity.

Best Regards,
    Tom