1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Clwyd Family History Society

Discussion in 'More Welsh Resources' started by Carolyn, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn LostCousins Member

From the site:
    The Clwyd Family History Society was founded in 1980 to encourage the study of genealogy and family history in north-east Wales, and to provide a forum for people who are interested in these subjects to meet, and to help each other. It now has approximately 1000 members worldwide.

The former county of Clwyd was created in 1974, by merging the historic counties of Flintshire, most of Denbighshire, and the eastern part of Merionethshire.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Carolyn, having ancestors from that area of Wales, I am interested to learn more about the society. I live in Australia, so the meetings are not possible, but the forum sounds good, I will have a look at the site, thanks for the information.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  3. Carolyn

Hi Heather, I am also in Australia! Do you subscribe to the Clwyd mailing list? If not, I would recommend it. Many of the members of the Clwyd Family History Society are on it. Very knowledgeable and very helpful.

4. Heather

Hi Carolyn, I have not had time to look at this site until today and from what I have seen up to now is great. I have found pictures of the churches where my grandfather was baptised at St Mary's in Brymbo and where my great grandfather was married at St Cynfarch in Hope. Thank you for the information about this site, I have as you suggested subscribed to the mailing list.

5. Carolyn

Glad you found it useful. Always exciting to find pictures of places relating to the family. Visiting them in person is the next step!

6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

And if you can't visit them in person due to the distance/cost you can look at them on Google Streetview eg: St Mary's in Brymbo you can then use streetview to move around the map and see it as if you were there. Not quite as good as being there of course as you can't read the inscriptions on the gravestones to check for ancestors but the next best thing.

7. Heather

Thanks Alexander, pity we can't read the gravestones, how good would that be if we could?

8. Carolyn

Ah, now that has reminded me of Lee Wetton's wonderful website Clwyd Monumental Inscriptions which "contains digital photographs of monumental inscriptions found at graveyards in the old county of Clwyd." Unfortunately, Brymbo and Hope are not there. There does not seem to have been any activity on the site since September 2008, but it might be worth contacting Lee.

9. Heather

Thanks Carolyn I'll have a look at that.

10. Heather

As you suggested I contacted Lee and he answered very promptly, he does not have Brymbo or Hope but he created a login for me and I will investigate the site as and when I have the time. I did have a quick look and the photos of all the gravestones are really good, I'll have to find my list of Welsh to English translations of words on gravestones :confused: now where did I put it ?????:rolleyes:

11. Carolyn

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Heather

Thanks again Carolyn, I did find them. I had printed them out so that I can make some sense of the gravestones, if and when I find one that belongs to my family. My maternal grandfather was Welsh, sadly I never knew him as he died before I was born.