1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Immigration/Emigration facts in GenoPro

Discussion in 'Genopro' started by Alexander Bisset, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Hmm interesting. I've emailed you via the Codeplex website, perhaps if you could email a GEDCOM extract of that one person with the single day residency file. I can invesigate why.

One thought that strikes me is if you used 2009 as the date then you have two 2009 dates and it will pick one randomly. Perhaps the only recourse is a 31st December 2008 entry to force a 2008 date to take presidence over a 1995 one.

2. Alexander Bisset

I tell the accountants at work that all the time.

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I also added a 3 day stay with my daughter before leaving UK but that was also in 2009. Perhaps I should add a Residency fact every year saying "I am still here". Would FTA then assume my demise if an entry is missing for one year?

4. Alexander Bisset

:) Check the loose deaths tab just to be sure. I wouldn't want reports of your death to be greatly exaggerated.

No I think the issue is them all resolving to 2009 which doesn't then give any different year info. A 2008 fact would resolve the issue. However it's clear I'll need to come up with some other means of treating ranged residence facts as it's a perfectly valid way of entering data and users shouldn't have to go through hoops to get the program to present the timeline correctly.

In the meantime a 2008 fact should work, add a comment that its a temporary "placeholder" fact to remind you.

5. Bryman

Too late, it's already been reported under my nom de plume.

Meanwhile, a 'still here' fact for 31/Dec/2008 has had the desired effect. Who's a clever boy then?

6. Alexander Bisset

:rolleyes: hehe I do kinda have a bit of an idea how it works, although some parts of it do feel more random than others, especially when I'm in the middle of adding a new feature.

Thanks for the reports glad you got a temporary fix working as desired.

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Well its definitely not the accounts driving the GenoPro site! When I used to use the software were were pushing for updates and fixes, and the message came back that they were working on something that would revolutionise the world and GenePro had taken a backseat. This was the time I decide to try some new software.

8. Tim

Hi Bryman,

If you select Tools, and Options, in the box that pops up is a section called Genogram Options.
    If you tick the 1st box called Display Genogram Dialog, then you get an extra tab before General.

9. Bryman

Thanks Tim for pointing out how I can get the aditional Genogram tab. It does have a few extra fields which can be entered but I am not convinced that I would wish to do so - Pet, Sexual Orientation, etc. Some people are obviously using the program differently to me.

I have looked at the gedcom file produced when I have entered immigration details and it does not look as if that gets exported so it is just as well that Alexander's suggested work-around achieves the desired effect.

Lang may yer lum reek, Alexander.

I have no idea what that would be in Welsh so to you Tim, just best wishes for a Happy New Year.

10. Tim

And Happy New Year to you.

I preferred the Genogram tab as the notes box was bigger.