1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Churches

Discussion in 'More Norfolk Resources' started by AnneC, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Simon Knott's fascinating site with details of Norfolk churches (see also link on Suffolk thread)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chris Haines

Chris Haines Member

I fully endorse Anne's recommendation of Simon Knott's website for Norfolk (and Suffolk) churches. He is a very erudite narrator with a deep understanding and appreciation of all aspects of the 'anatomy' of churches through the ages, coupled with considerable knowledge of the practical effects of the schisms and changes in liturgy in different eras. And he shares a good helping of wit (plus a deep dislike of locked churches with no available keyholders). But best of all, he provides a plethora of images, viewable in high-quality on linked Flikr pages, showing not just the external architecture or a general view from the back of the nave but a lot of key details - painted/carved screens, memorial stones, stained-glass windows, fonts, etc. Particularly valuable if you want a 'family-history' sense of place - e.g. to see the font around which the family would have gathered for the children's baptisms (yes - I know the font is sometimes moved but if it is an old one it is very likely that it was the one used in that church when your local predecessors were baptized).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

A second hearty endorsement not only to the site but Chris's comments. I am tracking "family" on their zigzag migration around 1750 to 1850 over the Suffolk Norfolk border and on towards the coast at around Sea Palling. Since most of this speculative research depends on church records it is a nice breather to pause and admire the churches along the way.

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The new Lifelines feature which will be available shortly in Family Tree Analyzer will allow you to see these places as literally a zigzag line on a map. Simply select the ancestor or group of ancestors to see how they moved through time.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1