1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Where born...?

Discussion in 'London' started by Carla, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Having had my knee op at last I was happy lain out on my sofa this afternoon with my net book perched on my chest (you can lie down with your feet up and just about see the screen this way :D) doing research on the sibings of my direct ancestors. Going off on a tangent this way, so to speak, I have managed to find lots of information to add to my family tree and it also means I am finding more relatives to add to lost cousins.
    Anyway I came across a 'where born' that I havent seen before. These children of a sibling of a direct ancestor (phew what a mouthful!) were all born in the usual places I had noted before....Bow, Bromley, West Ham, etc ....except for one. Charles Csastell's place of birth was cited as 'Tidal Basin'. Well that interested me so I googled it and actually came up with very little of substance apart from a map of the London Docks with Tidal Basin on it so at least I know the area where he was born. Looking at the snippits of information I did find it really got me wondering where he was actually born as the majority of the buildings were warehouses or taverns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

In a basin?;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Well I hope the tide was out, or is that what they called birthing pools in those days? :)

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Hey Carla, tried maritime records?

5. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I hadnt thought of that emjay, so guess what I will be looking at tomorrow :) Thank you for the idea.

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Carla, there is " The Tidal Basin Tavern" or maybe he was born on board a ship, what time period are we talking about?

7. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

The four children were all born roughly between 1889 and 1900. There were seven children that I know of in total and it was the last four that have 'Tidal Basin' as their place of birth.

I did think it would help if I could find out what occupation thier father Edward Charles Castell born about 1856 in Gravesend, Kent, but the 1881 census simply says labourer and I just cant make out the words in the 1901 census. It's not that the words are unclear but that I actually can't think what it says. My father squinted at the census and thinks it says painter of houses?

8. Tim

I think it says Painter Houses.

If you look at Edwards entry, the word Head has the "H" written the same way.

In 1891 the 3 children have

CASTELL, Edward GSonM41887 Bromley by Bow, Middlesex
    CASTELL, CharleySon M21889 Plaistow, Essex
    CASTELL, Lydia EDaughterF0 (3M)1891Plaistow, Essex

And the 1911 census implies that there were 8 children, I hope this helps.

9. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Thanks Tim. It's good to have someone else take a look at a census to decifer it! I havent got to the 1911 census yet so wil take a look as I have only 7 children. This isnt even a direct ancestor but it will help me to find more 'Lost Cousins' I hope :)

10. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I had a relative born'Nova Scotia' which was rather startling and a touch exciting, but it turned out to be an area of Blackburn (in Lancashire)

11. Tim

I think it said 7 still alive, 1 dead. But there is a big gap between Edith and George?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I used to drink at the Tidal Basin Tavern - I can't remember the exact location, but I would head south from the Canning Town flyover. Of course, Docklands has all changed so you'd need to check an old map. My 1930s A-Z suggests that it's just to the east of the Blackwall Tunnel - the Tidal Basin was one of the Victoria Docks.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  14. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Yes that is what it says Carla

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Lots of info from your links Britjan plenty for Carla to browse

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Peter must have been a bit of a LAD

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

It's not impossible that they were living in one of the warehouses on the Basin. I have ancestors who are registered in successive censuses at the less than desirable address of London Manure Works, Plough Wharf, just a bit further up along the riverbank from Blackwall. The family's father was the foreman and they lived in.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. Rainfordlass1AA

Rainfordlass1AA LostCousins Member

I love the 1911 census as it does indeed list the number of children born alive plus the number of children who have died, which is a great resource for genealogy and has enlightened me about some of my own family, I feel so much for them losing the children. Such a pity the current census don't have those details on. :( Some of the USA census list a lot more information than we do...