1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What to do?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Fran Bonner, May 28, 2013.

1. Fran Bonner

Fran Bonner New Member

I have only been able to find a few of my husband's rellies on the census supported by LC.
    All mine were out in Australia after that time. How can I enter them on LC to find Lost Cousins?

2. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

Most of the people I know in Australia do not have ancestors they can add to Lost Cousins unfortunately. I am still encouraging them to look at the 1841 census so at least they can add some 'Lost Cousins' on the site. By the way, my match potential is around .07 and I do have one match so sitting above the probability :)

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Although the page is called My Ancestors it's not just for direct ancestors - you can enter any of your relatives. Indeed, if you were too look at my page you'd see that less than 5% of my entries are of direct ancestors (and if I were to delete them the change in my Match Potential would be barely noticeable).

So in one sense it doesn't make much difference when your direct ancestors migrated, because it's the relatives they left behind in Britain who are the links to your 'lost cousins' in Britain. Whilst the majority of your 'known cousins' may live in Australia, the vast majority of your 'lost cousins' will still be in Britain.

However it is true that the more recently your direct ancestors left Britain the easier it is to find those of your relatives who were recorded in 1841, 1881, and perhaps even 1911. If some or all of your direct ancestors migrated before 1841 then you might have to research a little harder, I'm afraid.

But difficult isn't the same as impossible!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

As always sensible advice Peter - will send an invite to people who I know have Lost Cousins who might be left behind in the UK :)