1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Marriage dispensation

Discussion in 'Roman Catholic ancestors' started by At home in NZ, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

It certainly looks like "living"to me. Less common that putting "deceased" where it applies, but still recording the same information. Presumably it would apply to both fathers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. The church register is in Ancestry.

The civil register is in Irish Genealogy

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Can I now assume nobody can read it?

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I think it’s more that there was nothing further to add. Having looked at the whole page and compared letters confirmed my thought that the final letter was a “g”, so the word does seem to be “living” as already suggested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks Pauline, seeing as you had asked to see it online I thought you would have confirmed what was thought.
    No harm done as they say.

I have just checked my collection of Irish marriages and now find there is one where 'deceased' is in the same position as 'living'. I hadn't thought to check until now because I assumed (tut) they followed the English tradition of putting deceased in the Occupation column. I now know differently.

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I guess it would have been more helpful if I had! :oops: :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1