1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. My logic - if the person is not a Lost Cousins member how can I connect with them.
    Further logic - our research is being conducted outside of LC. the entry in my 'Other Contacts'; is not serving any purpose whatsoever.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

But your cousin IS a LostCousins member - if they weren't they couldn't possibly appear on your My Cousins page. Didn't you say you were the one who invited them to join?
    ALL research is conducted outside of LostCousins. LostCousins is about making connections in order to share past research and/or collaborate on future research.
    I can think of at least 3 purposes that it serves - but I designed the LostCousins system, so I naturally know more about it than anyone else.

3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 11 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5039 New Entries have been added and
    • 225 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives matched up this week, but new entries is still very high.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2023-1-20_10-4-52.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 20 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 10,018 New Entries have been added and
    • 545 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers up this week, a fantastic job everyone. And this is the last weekend to load your ancestors before the competition closes. So one last big push.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-1-27_11-42-34.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

And check your My Prizes page for new additions, including a second chance to hear my DNA presentation (at a time more convenient to those in the Antipodes).

6. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 15 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 7,470 New Entries have been added and
    • 616 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New matches were up this week but the others were still very strong. And the competition has closed. Well done everyone for entering your relatives and fingers crossed that you win a special prize.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-2-3_11-45-1.png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2023
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. peter

And over half of the competition entrants will get a prize - just for doing what comes naturally (searching for 'lost cousins'). There was so much demand for my DNA talk that I'll be running it again tomorrow morning!

8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 11 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,135 New Entries have been added and
    • -361 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All down this week but that's to be expected after the competition has closed. Unfortunately, it looks like we lost another member.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-2-10_9-45-43.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 4 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,236 New Entries have been added and
    • 99 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Members down this week and I'm glad to see that we have positive Relatives Matched this week.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-2-17_9-58-42.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 19 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,252 New Entries have been added and
    • 82 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives matched down this week, a nice set of steady numbers which is always encouraging.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-2-24_10-6-14.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 14 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,371 New Entries have been added and
    • 78 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Entries up this week, but the other numbers are very close.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-3-3_9-58-47.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 9 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,295 New Entries have been added and
    • 63 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are down this week, but the numbers are very close to last week.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-3-10_10-21-16.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  13. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 10 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,291 New Entries have been added and
    • 139 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only 1 number down this week (only just down), but the numbers are very steady.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-3-17_10-43-0.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 6 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,656 New Entries have been added and
    • 57 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Entries up this week, so some members have been busy adding their relatives.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-3-24_10-6-56.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 29 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,063 New Entries have been added and
    • 66 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Entries down this week, but hopefully all these new members will start adding their relatives soon.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-3-31_22-11-56.png

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2023
  16. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Hi Red Dragon,
    Sorry, but I cannot see the graph.
    K

17. Red Dragon

And that's the problem with multi-tasking, apologies, I've asked the mods to insert it for me.

18. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 4 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,113 New Entries have been added and
    • 47 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. What a very quiet week, maybe the Easter break has had something to do with it.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2023-4-9_10-48-53.png

19. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

Thanks for the continued weekly updates. I have not seen an update on how many different names/entries for each census we have captured recently. It helps knowing if other members are joining in on a particular one. Is this possible?

20. peter

The number of relatives added from each census is not something that should influence your decision as to which census(es) to focus on. What matters is the coverage of each census at the current time, as this determines the chances that an entry you add from that census will match an existing entry.

The coverage is highest, by far, for the 1881 censuses - in consequence these are the ones which produce almost all matches.