1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Has FT Analyzer stopped working with Lost Cousins?

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by JFB, Jan 31, 2023.

1. JFB

JFB LostCousins Member

I uploaded a new GEDCOM to FT Analyzer today, and logged FTA on to Lost Cousins (success it said!). I was looking to highlight anyone in the 1881 census not entered onto LC.
    FTA is showing ZERO LC records and ZERO missing LC records. Neither is true. In fact there seems to be no LC analysis of the GEDCOM at all, and no interaction with LC
    Other analyses of the GEDCOM by FTA seem to work as usual.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It seems to be working for me, have you got some screenshots?

3. JFB

JFB LostCousins Member

Hi Tim,
    Following your reply about it working for you, I have been taking an in depth look at it this morning. What used to work before no longer works.
    This is the first time I have used FTA since it was moved to the Microsoft store. Previously I had to add a custom event "Lost Cousins" and the year, but there is no mention of this in the new online guide. And frustratingly FTA tells me , for example, that "7 Jun 1841" and "3 Apr 1881" are unrecognized census dates! They never used to be. FTA seems to be a lot more "finicky" about what it will accept than it used to be, so I am faced with a substantial task of "correcting"(?) a lot of my database. Maybe someday. Removing the day and month from a census date seems to be a "dumbing down" that's not worth it.
    Thanks for your input.

4. I have been using FTA to add people to my cousins page for some while now and there has not been any 'dumbing down'. What you describe is making FTA unrecognisable to me.
    I took the trouble to put the guide into PDFs which have served me well. Take a look at the attachment, it might help.

Attached Files:

5. JFB

JFB LostCousins Member

I think I must be way out of date! A few years ago I had to add a custom "lost cousins" event to people, and my GEDCOM worked fine.
    FTA now has a lot of settings that were not there before, and the new defaults are what was causing my problems. After finding and changing some of the new defaults I have everything working again with the same GEDCOM settings.
    Does anyone know if deleting the "Lost Cousins" custom events will cause a problem? I suspect not, FTA now seems to get its references from actual census events etc. (I could try removing the custom event from the GEDCOM export).
    FTA is more complex than it was before, but BETTER than it was before.
    Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I still add the custom fact, I'm not sure you need to anymore.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Remember that if you use FTA to add relatives to your My Ancestors page you are advised to use the checking arrows to compare each household added against the census (sort your entries by 'date added'). That's because FTA takes information from your tree, not from the census.

If you used FTA during the period of the competition I'd advise you to check them urgently since if a winning entry doesn't match the census it might be disqualified. I'll be awarding the Star Prizes (subscriptions, DNA tests etc) over the weekend.