1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

SideView

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Oct 4, 2022.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Mine has also been updated; it says two added to Maternal and three to Paternal but no way to tell who they are. Also, since November my maternal has increased by 324 and paternal by 275.

2. KevinStortford

KevinStortford LostCousins Member

And another who has had the January 2023 update. Has anyone a way of identifying those who have been re-assigned?

3. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

I just looked at my matches by parent, and got a pop-up saying:

Some unassigned matches labeled
    Some of your previously unassigned matches have been labeled using our SideView technology.

... and a "Show Me" button.

And it does seem to have made a bigger difference then some others have reported:

............. last week ...now
    P1............... 6004 .. 6286 but it says "7 added"
    P2.............. 10189 10620 but it says "6 added"
    both ................. 1 ......... 1
    unassigned 5068 ... 4362

That takes the unassigned count below its initial value of 4778. Whether I will notice them in practice I'm no

4. KevinStortford

KevinStortford LostCousins Member

Found the answer my own question. Yes. Those that are marked as newly assigned have a dot by the side they belong to as these examples

upload_2023-1-1_20-6-53.png upload_2023-1-1_20-7-52.png

5. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

My Mums has now been updated today with 3 Maternal and 1 Paternal added. 1,452 are unassigned which is 10% which I think is quite reasonable. But when considering the number of 'new matches' over the last 3 months, the assigned figure hasn't grown by much?

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

My own tree also shows updated Jan 2023 with 1 added to Parent 1 and 4 to Parent 2. I see the unassigned is still pending updates, but this holds little interest for me, and the 2 shown as 'Both sides' are likely to be quite obvious (my daughter for one). I have to own to having little interest in Side View other than as an occasional tool to aid an investigation.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  7. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Looking at the 5 tests I have access to, ALL of the assigned matches are ones that are over three months old, i.e. none of the 'new matches' (<3 months old) have been assigned, unless manually assigned by me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Essentially I agree, but SideView (which we still don’t have in our main subscriber account) can be useful when you have shared matches on both sides of your tree, and you don’t know where the connection might be. And it’s also useful if you have a significant cluster of unknown matches where all the shared matches are also unknown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pauline

It's arrived!! It wasn't there yesterday but when I checked my DNA matches today, I found the 'By parent' feature had finally made it to our subscriber account. 3 of the tests we manage show updated Jan 2023 while my sister's is showing Dec 2022.

10. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Congratulations! Took long enough, didn't it?

11. Pauline

Yes! And we still don't have the Chromosome Painter (for what it's worth) - I was expecting that to arrive first.

12. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

Today, next to the message "Updated Jan 2023", I see a new green flag saying "783 labeled". That's of the same order as the number that were added to the P1 and P2 totals at the recent update: 282+431=713. Since then those totals have move up and down by one or two, which I suspect is nothing to do with SideView (more likely access permissions being changed on a few accounts).

But it's not that close, is it? So I wonder what that number is supposed to mean. I can understand that they have found a lot of users don't realise how many unassigneds they have resolved, since you need to keep a note of the totals to see it. And of course the number added they have been showing is not for the update, just the latest ones processed.

13. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Does it matter? I don't give it a moment's thought, but maybe I should?

14. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Neither do I, with the added rider I wouldn't.

15. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

I think if I hadn't been keeping track of the totals I would be feeling a bit disheartened that so few of my matches had changed from 'unassigned', because it is easy to lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of matches are outside of the range of shared Cms that seem significant enough to warrant immediate attention. I know that the seemingly significant might in fact be much less interesting than the more distant matches that share an ancestral surname or birthplace, but feelings aren't logical! I expect Ancestry will want their users to feel positive about the initiatives that are being funded from their subscriptions and DNA test purchases?

16. peter

I received emails this afternoon to both of my Ancestry accounts which had the subject line:

We’ve sorted more of your matches by parent

upload_2023-1-17_18-9-54.png

This may possibly indicate that they've finished this round of updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pauline

I had a similar email on my sister's account, but whereas my matches say updated January 2023, hers still say December 2022. I've given up trying to second-guess Ancestry!

18. peter

It may be that the update cycle spanned the month end.

19. cfbandit

cfbandit LostCousins Member

People pay attention to that? I have all my matches color dotted by family, so I guess I don't really think about it. They have plenty of folks in "unassigned" who are easy to spot which side of the family they are from with my color dotting... I guess I figured like most things, it will take Ancestry awhile to sort out an updating system.

20. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

I have found one today has been given an exclamation mark by Ancestry. They have worked out my match to be maternal. But the cousin is at the end of a branch in my tree on the paternal side. To be flagged as maternal they must have found a closer cousin on my mum's side but I can't work out how. And classification should probably be 'both'