1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM 2019 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by VTinOZ, Nov 18, 2022.

1. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Hi Everyone,
    Can anyone suggest the normal time frame for an email to arrive with download link once payment has been received when upgrading please?

2. In my experience, it is instant.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Thanks AhiNZ, 3 days & waiting. Maybe need to chase them up come Monday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've just had a thought. If they really are in Kiev maybe there are other things to attend to such as dodging missiles. I hope you get your upgrade soon.

5. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

I suppose that's a possibility AhiNZ development is in Kiev but I think there offices are Boston USA based. Have no idea where downloads come from, I'll chase their tech support on Monday. Had planned to play with it this weekend, will have to play in the garden instead tomorrow, probably a better option anyway :) V.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2022
  6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Have you checked your junk folder?

7. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Hi Tim, Yes, many times, not there.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. I hope it's not raining as much as it is here in NZ, it feels like it hasn't stopped for months and I'm itching to do my garden because the spring overgrowth needs attacking.

9. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Same here, but way better than drought :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Have you simply prompted the FTM program itself to search for updates? There is a "check for updates and upgrades" in the "Family Tree Maker" menu, and you might be able to do it that way. I think mine update without me realising.

11. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Can someone remind me how to create a cut down tree (in this case for a maternal 1st cousin who has DNA tested) from within FTM. I know it can be done and have done it before but several moons ago, and it will be easier to be reminded than to try to sus out myself. Thanks

12. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Hi Jorghes,
    Yes I had done that from the outset to no avail. This was an upgrade from FTM2017 to FTM2019 rather than an update.
    The problem is resolved this morning & the new FTM2019 now installed successfully on my desktop. To my surprise the Mackiev online support 24 hour chat function worked well, an email arrived stating the situation would be investigated & they'd get back to me shortly. 12 hours odd later another email containing links to follow, instructions for download & installation. So all good now for that part. Wish I'd used the online chat sooner :)

As for the new version... so far have only installed & tried to SYNC to Ancestry which failed on each of 3 attempts. I'll reserve judgement for now but not the best first impression.

13. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Hi Bob
    Hopefully this will work for you:
    1. Select Export... (from the File menu)
    2. In the window that appears (after you've said OK to message about password-protection), click on 'Selected Individuals', and a list of everyone in your tree will appear.
    3. From the list, select the person whose tree you want to create, and under 'Include' click on 'Ancestors'
    4. You'll get options of how many generations to include, what spouses to include and whether to include ancestors' descendants - select what you want and click OK.
    5. You'll then see the list again with those included on the right hand side. Check these are the people you want in the subset and click 'Apply'
    6. In the window that appears, choose the format you want - 'GEDCOM' if it's for general use by someone without FTM - and the various options of what to include (notes, media etc) and whether to password-protect it.
    7. When you're happy you've selected the people and details you want, click 'Export' and you'll be asked where you want to save the file.
    Good luck!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I can't sync to Ancestry at the moment because the log in to Ancestry from FTM fails with an 'unknown error'. When I queried it with MacKiev I was told I need to upgrade my operating system - which I am intending to do shortly - and then it should (hopefully) work!

15. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

FTM connects to Ancestry OK. The SYNC appears to be working & then the FAILED message. I'll try at 4am with fingers crossed though all my attempts have been in Green weather or whatever they call it.

16. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Assuming FTM has converted the file to the latest version (when it was opened), have you tried selecting "Tools ... Compact file ... " and ticked "perform extended analysis"?

17. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Yes FTM converted the file to latest version on opening, Yes I have compacted the file with perform extended analysis selected.
    Three further attempts to sync failed & now as I type here the sync has completed successfully, finally.
    Have just had the 48 hour diagnostic... have no idea what that does.

There was a question as to what I sync FTM to Ancestry, Ancestry to FTM etc etc, can't remember the other options. I only sync Ancestry to FTM but in looking at FTM 2019 I can't see where the options to choose are.
    Any ideas please?

18. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Once you have loaded your file from one system into the other then they are sync'd. Now if you do any changes in one system then just press the sync in FTM and it will sync both tress again.

The only word of warning that they give is to do changes in one system at a time. i.e. do some changes in FTM and then sync, and then you could do changes in Ancestry and then sync.

19. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Thanks Tim.
    Just had another chat session due to the 48 hour diagnostic, whatever the sync glitch was it seems to have gone, & having opened as admin, closed file then use exit a few times the program now loads in an acceptable space of time.
    The support person did say it was important to only make changes in FTM OR Ancestry at a time & to sync after changes, so same advice as you have given.
    Hopefully all will be well but further use will have to wait till tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Thanks everyone for your help with this. Regards, Vicki