1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

SideView

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Oct 4, 2022.

1. KirstenB

KirstenB LostCousins Star

Yes Helen finally I have the results on my husbands subscription account as of yesterday. I hope yours turns up soon Pauline. Again crunching the results so far about 40 matches of 15cM and over, who are on Mum's list of matches, sideview has assigned to my father. Several the other way are clearly wrong though in some cases these may match both sides. Some inconsistency with thru lines suggestions but again some may be both sides.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

May be a silly idea to raise with you Pauline with your own computer knowledge, but have you thought of the clearing the cache (now that probably is an unnecessary reminder) and then exiting Ancestry. Log off and on and then IN A DIFFERENT BROWSER SEARCHING for Ancestry UK anew? You may have to sign in again but when you have your subscriber tree open see if this provides your missing 'By Parent' feature. If it does bingo, and there is a good chance you will also find it performs the same in the previous browser. If not either then you will just have to return to your 'wait and see' situation.

Edit: If using a laptop you could also try the old IT trick of holding down the power button for 10 seconds and forcing a shut down (save anything you are working on first). On reboot you can try your old browser again, or follow the above - just an additional thought

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Not a silly idea, and can often work wonders, but in this case, as you suspected yes, been there, done that. And I've tried in at least two different browsers (other than Chrome which I mostly use). It's definitely an account thing rather than anything local.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I can confirm that is my experience too. When I wasn't seeing the 'By Parent' feature in my Ancestry account using Chrome on my computer, I checked in the Ancestry App on both my iPhone and iPad and it wasn't there either. As soon as the feature appeared on my computer, it also appeared in the iPhone/iPad app.

5. Helen7

An odd thing has now happened to me with the SideView ('By Parent') feature, which I just noticed today. Whilst I still have it when looking at my own DNA match list from my account, it has disappeared from the other 4 tests where I am a viewer (and in the case of my husband, Manager). When I log in to my husband's account, SideView has disappeared completely.

Anyone else found this problem?

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Not me, because I still don't have it, but I have come across others reporting this today.

7. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

Side View has disappeared off of my own DNA Match List and also from my Mums test. Still evident on my Dads test and on another test that I have been given access to .

8. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

It disappeared from my own test while I was checking the other 3 tests I manage. Only one test now still has Side View.

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Only 6 of the 25 tests that I have access to currently show 'By parent BETA'.

10. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

2 of the six tests I have access to show the "By parent BETA".

11. KevinStortford

KevinStortford LostCousins Member

Has disappeared from mine this evening. It maybe they have found some bugs to iron out and have taken it down briefly

12. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Mine's gone from the website but is still visible in the iPhone app. I expect it's being maintained prior to being rolled out again, probably just as an update to the beta rather than a full release, but who knows?

13. Kane133

Kane133 LostCousins Member

Only 10 of the 56 tests that I have access to currently show 'By parent BETA'.

14. KevinStortford

So we can conclude it's a general withdrawal rather than something gone awry with our individual account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Not sure if this is relevant: I had one match (a 3rd Cousin) which Ancestry labelled "Mother's Side" where all shared matches and the paper trail were "Father's Side". Today, that match is now not allocated by Ancestry.

16. Helen7

Do you still have the 'By Parent BETA' tab showing? If not, that is the reason why that match is not allocated by Ancestry.

17. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I was a bit terse :oops: That is the only Ancestry allocated "side" I have found that has automatically removed the setting, the others only change if I explicitly "reset". Three of the six associated shared matches still show the Ancestry allocated "side" (the other three were "unassigned").

18. Helen7

'By parent BETA' is now showing again on all 5 tests I have access to.

I notice quite a few of my matches which were previously unassigned have now been assigned by Ancestry - over 500 more to my Paternal side and 200+ extra to my Maternal side.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  19. KevinStortford

And reappeared on my test with the same numbers for paternal & maternal and the unassigned higher which will be the recent new matches

20. Helen7

I've found the same with my husbands matches (i.e. no change in paternal and maternal, increase in unassigned), but mine have changed as I mentioned above. My combined paternal and maternal have increased by 752 whilst my 'unassigned' number has gone down by 696, so the difference of 56 must be due to new matches.