1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

SideView

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Oct 4, 2022.

1. AlanB

AlanB LostCousins Member

One interesting thing I've just noticed, all of my matches that have been assigned are over 3 months old, all the more recent ones are unassigned. Is this the case for everyone I wonder?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's the same for me. We do know that they will only run an update once a month - what we are seeing now may be derived from the same data that produced the Ethnicity Estimates in April.

As this feature is in beta they will probably be more concerned to tweak the algorithms than anything else.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, same for me too.

4. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Same for me, none of my matches that are three months old or less have been assigned.

Thanks for pointing this out, as I've been puzzled about one of my recent matches that is shown as unassigned but looks obviously linked to one parent and not the other.

I'll try to remember that any new matches will be shown as unassigned at least until the next update.

5. MazH

MazH LostCousins Member

I have spent several days checking all of my DNA matches with whom I have identified my relationship, and on my mother's side all have been correctly identified as "Maternal" or "Parent 2". A different result has shown up on my father's side with many matches, including ones with correct ThruLines, being labelled by Ancestry as Maternal. Even stranger, about half of my matches who are descendants of branches of my dad's direct line male ancestors are shown as "Maternal" matches. I have many currently unassigned matches, and one labelled as "Both", but she has only a very small match with me over 1 segment. It will be interesting to see what happens when the first update occurs.

6. peter

Presumably you've read what it says in the blog post that I recommended?

If your parents are related it's not surprising that some of the cousins that you consider to be on your father's side are being identified as on your mother's side. Have you run your DNA through the tool at GEDmatch that tells you whether your parents are related?

7. KirstenB

KirstenB LostCousins Star

I think I must be being very dim as I am having problems accessing the sideview “By parent beta” allocations i.e. assigning matches to P1, P2, both or unassigned etc. through a managers account.

I am using my husband’s account with a subscription. He hasn’t done a dna test. His parents, aunt, me and my mother have tested. My husband is manager for all 5 tests. However looking at those tests on his account you can’t side the sideview beta allocations.

I know those allocations have been done for 4 of those tests as going into their individual accounts the allocations show up. However I want to manage them from the account with a subscription. Any idea for the reason they aren’t showing up on my husband’s account where he is a manager? I see others posts here suggest managers can see this allocation.

(Chromosome painter is visible for each of the 5 tests through my husband’s manager account).

On my own account, currently an account without a subscription, my own DNA test isn’t showing the sideview beta allocations of P1, P2 etc. so I presume they haven’t dealt with all tests yet.

8. Helen7

On my own account - with a subscription - neither my DNA test nor that of my husband of which I am manager show the P1/P2 allocations. However, on my husband's account my DNA test (of which he's a viewer, not a manager) does show the P1/P2 allocations. So Ancestry have obviously dealt with my test, they just don't want to show me the results in my account. Like you, I'd like to manage both tests from an account with a subscription.

9. KirstenB

Thank you Helen, I had seen your earlier posts and wondered whether Ancestry had sorted yours yet. It is interesting that even with only viewer rights your husband can see your results which you can't see on your own account! I wonder whether anyone else is in the same boat and whether it's just ancestry's slowness.

10. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

We still don’t have this feature in our account, and the last I heard was that it might taken until February to roll it out to everyone. As I mentioned before we’ve been subscribers at Ancestry since the year dot, but we’re still among the last to get any new feature.

11. KirstenB

I agree "loyalty doesn't count." You could say giving the info to free accounts might tempt them to pay but on the other hand if they are given the new info free... I will just have to be patient.

In the meantime based on Helen’s experience I have made my mother a viewer of my DNA test and lo and behold my results appear on her account. Good, but not great as I want to use the subscription account.

A few interestingly anomalies. I had worked on the basis that if a DNA match of mine didn’t match my mother they were on my father’s side. Having rechecked for my errors Sideview still disagrees totally in 45 cases of matches between 6cM and 39cm. In none of those 45 does my mother match the match they say is on her side. In three cases (39cM, 15cM and 6cM I am certain they are paternal not maternal matches). However most of the matches where they don't match mum are towards the small end so maybe original error tests. In 3 cases I think they are on both sides.
    Overall a good reminder of the margin of error (theirs and mine).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2022
  12. peter

That seems reasonable but it won't always work in practice - some will be spurious matches, and some may not match your mother because of anomalies in the statistical processing.

13. Helen7

I agree. My son has a 15 cM match with someone with whom I don't have a match at all, but I can see from their tree that they are my 3rd cousin 1x removed.

14. KirstenB

Sure, as I said most of the matches where they don't match mum are towards the smaller end (10cM and down) and also why I said a good reminder of their errors and mine. There are both wrong positive and negative assignments to one side or the other by me, trees, others, thru lines, DNA test results etc. Overall through the side view allocation looks as though it will be useful-just better when I get it on a paid for subscription account.

15. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

Well I have 'lost' 'by parent' Side View feature on my Mums and My own Ancestry DNA pages.
    Dad still has his, and interestingly, he has had an increase of 4 Paternal, 1 Maternal and 90 unassigned since the initial release.
    I hope the loss is temporary.

16. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Do you mean that the 'By parent BETA' page doesn't appear when you first click on 'View DNA Matches'? That's happened to me too, but I can still see which matches are assigned to which parent and use the 'Groups' to filter by assignment.

On my cousin's DNA account, which I manage, the 'By parent BETA' page still appears.

17. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

Yes the By parent BETA. A relative says all 8 of hers are still working (and I have access to her one on mine, which is still working).

18. peter

I've lost my 'By parent BETA' but my brother still has his.

19. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I manage 3 tests in addition to my own and all 4 have the By parent BETA working.

20. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Experienced an unexpected glitsch when I logged on to Ancestry just now. Everything seemed normal until I clicked on All DNA matches - the page that appeared with my DNA results was in Swedish! I went back to the Search page and then clicked on DNA matches again and the usual English results page came up. Weird.