1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Poor Rate Books (also Vestry Rate)

Discussion in 'More English Resources' started by Jacqueline, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

Many Archive collections for England and Wales have Parish Poor Rate or Vestry Rate Books compiled annually which may date from the c18th and continue into the c20th. They usually give:
    the address
    the rateable value of a property based on an estimated yearly rental
    the tenant's name
    the owner's name
    the type of property
    the amount due and the amount actually paid
    the start or end date of an occupancy
    Where they exist they can helpful for finding ancestors before the 1841 census, but particularly for filling the gap between censuses. They can give a clue as to the economic rise or fall of an individual. If one wishes to know a very little, perhaps the details for a year or two, kindly archivists may do a look up without charge.
    It is the luck of the draw whether they survive e.g Manchesters' are vitrtually complete from 1793, Stockport has 2. Southwark Archives have them for Bermondsey, but many of Camberwell's before 1913 (ish) were destroyed.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jacqueline, do you know where some of these might be found? Some web addresses?

3. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

Well, it is like others in individual Local Archives Tim. I have used Manchester ones extensively in researching industrial housing - so I know they are in the Central Library, same for Stockport's pathetic 2 when I attempted to find late c18th and early c19th surviving industrial housing. I emailed Southwark to see what they had for my 2 x gt g.father's pubs, told them when I was coming and went there. They told me that the odd side of another road I hoped they'd had was in Lewisham, so I went there too. Unless they go in the County Resources pages. I thought it better to post for people to find out for themselves as I did for my London ones. If I am now/ going to be (?) the London Moderator, It would take me years to find out because they go Parish by Parish. NB Each one weighs a ton. Southwark has a printed or emailable list of what they have. Presumably, County, City, Borough, Unitary authority repositaries will go on County Resources Pages. If I get clever enough, (or your helpful advice) I could put an image of a page on as a specimen- with permission from the Borough of course