1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Ryerson Index to death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers

Discussion in 'Australia - More resources' started by At home in NZ, Jul 7, 2022.

1. I didn't know this index existed until a few minutes ago. I hope it is of help/interest.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. JoyNor

JoyNor Guest

Thanks - a very useful site to bookmark. I work with a 6th cousin in Melbourne on one of our shared names & she is a real expert at ferreting out family notices etc from the Australian archives. However I just tried a name on this index & it brought up 5 references to my ancestor who originated from Yorkshire but died in Sydney where he had been a master mason working on some of the iconic buildings in the 1860s. I did have one of the references as an image downloaded from Ancestry but this index gave me 4 other references from different newspapers to the one I already had. Weirdly I was only looking at this part of my tree yesterday, after not accessing it for months, as I was writing an article about it for a family history journal.

3. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

And don't forget Trove - it is a mine of information!

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. I won't and I agree.

• Agree Agree x 1