1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Half Siblings

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by whittler, Jun 28, 2022.

1. whittler

whittler LostCousins Member

Where there are half siblings in a family say A & B. The children of A will be half cousins to the children of B.

Should the ancestors of B be included together with the ancestors of A which is already on Lostcousins as there is one common ancestor to A & B.

Having read most of the articles on the Lostcousins forum I am still unsure how to include the additional information.

A pointer in how to proceed would be helpful.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The most important relatives to enter are those who genetically related to you - your ancestors and your blood relatives. Entering people who are only related to you by marriage is unlikely to lead you to cousins.

3. whittler

whittler LostCousins Member

Thanks for your quick reply.

The half siblings are in the direct male line so there seems to be a possibility that a connection could be made through DNA testing, if done by all concerned.

The common ancestor is my G Grandfather, so all his children's children are directly related to me.

If that assumption is correct should they be included as blood relations together with an explanation of the connection?.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Anyone who shares your ancestors is a blood relative of yours, and their descendants are cousins of yours - that's all that really matters. By all means add a brief note if you want to, but it won't be visible to anyone other than you (and me).