1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1901 and 1911 Canadian census records online

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RosemaryC, Mar 13, 2013.

1. RosemaryC

RosemaryC LostCousins Member

The 1901 and 1911 Canadian census records have been digitized, and you can search them freely online. You can find the 1901 census here.

You can find the 1911 census at here

The 1906 census of the Prairie Provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) can be searched online at here

Family Search has indexed the 1881 Canadian census, as well as many other Canadian census records, and you can search these for free through the FamilySearch search engine. A detailed listing of all Canadian census records in the Family History Library can be seen here

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I found one of my relatives who emigrated in the Canadian census. You can add a note that you are researching a particular person on the census.
    I did this, and forgot all about it until I was contacted by a third cousin in Canada.
    We have been able to share some family history as other relatives also emigrated to Canada.
    It seems that one went and others followed.

3. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Thanks, RosemaryC. It is such a valuable source and I find that after locating an individual or family being able to view free and Copy or Print to File the original Census Returns is such a bonus. I'm adding some further comments, as if I don't use this site regularly, it often takes me some time to see the obvious and hopefully, they may assist others.

One area I find very useful are the following links on the top right-hand side of the screen and accessible whatever page you are on: Census Indices: 1901 1906 1911 1852CA 1851NB

For whatever reason which may be due to my only having very basic broadband speed, I find sometimes that by using the alphabetical link either it does not load results or takes a long time. So I would suggest if anyone else experience these, use the box that is searchable by surname. This always works for me. Doing it by this method still brings up a list of Soundex alternative spellings.

To view the original Census Return page click on the top left-hand side "IMAGE: View the image with: "split screen". (I always forget this!)

The Census Returns information 1911 is still under construction so a fully searchable index has not been added, but by clicking on the individual provinces that have been transcribed, a searchable surname box is provided.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Good tip Good tip x 1
  4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The most recent addition to the automated census website are links to soldiers who served in WWI from three FREE sources. Here is a link to one such listing so useful for working backwards from a soldier who has a C.E.F. attestation record to the relevant census listing. The sites are Soldiers of the First World War ( a work in progress), Canadian Virtual War Memorial and the Dictionary of Canadian Biography. I presume the link would also work for someone who is just in Dictionary.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

Having just searched & found that some of my Ruse family relatives from Guernsey,Channel Islands, moved to York,Toronto,Canada. John, James Ruse & Isabella Gilbert, children Agnes,Maria,Jane & John Richard. The links to the records above are a real bonus
    It never ceases to amaze me finding just where some of my ancestors ended up living.

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

2021 Update Check out the entry page for "Automated Genealogy" for some updates and new links to two million records from the following sources
    Part 1

1. almost 11,000 links to soldiers ( and nurses) of the First World War which may provide links to the two census entries and always a link to the relevant military records.
    2. http://automatedgenealogy.com/uidlinks/CVWMList.jsp A listing of links from records in the index to the 1901 and 1911 Censuses to the Canadian Virtual War Memorial entries at the Veterans Affairs Canada web site. Names are as they appear in the respective census.
    3. Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online Linking A listing of links from records in the Census indices to the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online entries at the Library and Archives Canada web site. Names are as they appear in the census.
    4. British Home Children Linking A listing of links from records in the index to the 1901 Census to the Home Children records at the Library and Archives Canada web site. Names are as they appear in the 1901 Census.
    5. Halifax Explosion Dec 1917 Linking The link provided is no longer valid and I have provided an update but the rest of the census details remain useful.