1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Place names in FamilySearch and Ancestry Trees

Discussion in 'Online family trees' started by Pauline, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

There seems to be some confusion at present with many place names at FamilySearch from recently released records. For example, some Gloucestershire events from BTs have the place shown as Wiltshire or sometimes Swindon, some Wiltshire events are shown as being in Hampshire (this one's been a problem for a while), and other places have just been confused as these examples show:

A marriage and a burial in Castle Combe, Wiltshire - moved to Combe by Amesbury (wherever that is!)
    Name Stephen King
    Age 77
    Residence Place Castle Combe
    Death or Burial Date 6 Jan 1837
    Death or Burial Place Combe by Amesbury, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom
    Death or Burial Place (Original) Combe Castle, Wiltshire, England
    Birth Date 1760
    Event Type Burial
    Document Type Bishop's Transcripts

Name Elizabeth King
    Residence Place Castle Combe
    Spouse's Name William Gibbs
    Spouse's Residence Place Marshfield Glre
    Marriage Date 11 Jun 1781
    Marriage Place Combe by Amesbury, Wiltshire, England
    Marriage Place (Original) Combe Castle, Wiltshire, England
    Event Type Marriage

and a burial which actually took place in Tormarton, Gloucestershire (one of many)
    Name Francis Bushell
    Death or Burial Date 16 Mar 1745
    Death or Burial Place Sutton Benger, Wiltshire, England
    Relative's Name Isaac & Grace Bushell
    Relative's Relationship to Principal Son of
    Event Type Burial

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

FamilySearch suffer from gazetteer issues like other websites. In this case it could be the recording of the burial place as Combe Castle, rather than Castle Combe that has caused the problem.

However it's also worth noting that if you search the FamilySearch catalogue by place you find Castle-Combe and Sutton-Benger so it could be the hyphens that've caused the confusion.

3. Pauline

My thought was likewise that the initial error in putting Combe Castle rather than Castle Combe had caused the issue there. However, I'm not sure how a hyphen may have caused burials in Tormarton, Gloucestershire to be relocated to Sutton Benger, Wiltshire!

4. peter

It says death or burial place. People aren't always buried in the place where they died, and these villages are only about 12 miles apart.

But if there are a lot of relocated entries, as you imply, it could simply be incorrect metadata. I'll leave it to you to research further.

5. Pauline

That's just a generic term, and it gives the event type as Burial. There are no dates or places of death given in the Tormarton register around that date, so there is no way of knowing where he died. However, as a very young child he would most likely have died where his parents were then living - in Tomarton.

It does seem to be all the Tormarton burial entries for that period that are amiss, not just the odd one or two, so Sutton Benger is definitely an error.

6. peter

I'll leave it to you to investigate further. If it is incorrect metadata, as I suspect, other parishes could be affected and the errors might well have carried through to other websites that source data from FamilySearch.

7. CeeJay

CeeJay LostCousins Star

Amesbury is in Wiltshire, a mile or so east of Stonehenge, on the A303, and best avoided due to the traffic jams.

8. Pauline

Thanks! I am familiar with Amesbury (though less so with its traffic jams as I haven't been for a good many years), but wasn't so sure about Combe by Amesbury as it's not a parish, and although there are various places called Combe in some shape or form not too far away, which one are they referring to as Combe by Amesbury? :confused: