1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 27 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,773 new entries have been added and
    • 334 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Everything is up this week apart from New Matches. But the numbers are all high which is good news for all of us.
    Have you selected your preference of prizes? This is a great opportunity to win some amazing prizes by simply adding your relatives to Lost Cousins.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Hands, Face, Masks. #Staysafe Happy New Year Everyone!

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2021-12-31_9-59-34.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 73 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 9,912 new entries have been added and
    • 634 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Everything is up this week and numbers remain high. The competition is still going strong so keep adding your relatives.
    Have you selected your preference of prizes? This is a great opportunity to win some amazing prizes by simply adding your relatives to Lost Cousins.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Hands, Face, Masks. #Staysafe Happy New Year Everyone!

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-1-7_9-55-33.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  3. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 90 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 15,673 new entries have been added and
    • 689 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Everything is up up this week and numbers remain high. The competition is still going strong so keep adding your relatives.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-1-14_10-9-49.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Very good point - one of the top prizes went to someone who wasn't the 'first out of the hat' because they'd completed their My Prizes page and the first person drawn hadn't.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Why should anyone have to record preferences in order to receive a prize? I would be happy to receive any prize so did not mark any preferences. In the light of your comment, I have now marked them all as 10, which is really no different. Perhaps I should have given a little more consideration as some may only be relevant to members who are not asleep at the time and there is currently 11 hours difference in the time-of-day between UK and NZ.

6. Personally I think that's a bit unfair, why didn't you just contact the winner and ask them what they wanted?

I agree with Bryman about the why.

Are we ever going to know who the winners are/were? I believe it's normal to publish competition winners names.

7. peter

Because that's what they were asked to do when the competition launched on 10th December:

"you will only be considered for prizes that you have rated"

There are hundreds of prizes on offer this year and I need an efficient way of allocating them.
    There was only one prize on offer at that particular time, and I wanted it to go to someone who would really appreciate it. It would have been unfair to the hundreds of members who did follow the instructions if someone who didn't was able to win one of the top prizes.
    I never publish the full names of members in the newsletter - LostCousins is all about privacy; sometimes I will mention the first names of the winners and/or the country they come from.

Only the winners themselves and the donors of the prizes know who has won (though those who win a place in a Zoom session have the option of displaying their name for other attendees to see).

8. peter

Of the remaining prizes the only time that has been announced so far is for Baroness Scott's talk, which is at 11am (London time).

9. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 37 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,431 new entries have been added and
    • 251 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Everything is down this week but numbers remain high and all are above the 6 month average. The competition is still going strong so keep adding your relatives.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-1-21_9-57-3.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. peter

If you have Scottish ancestry get entering NOW - and you might be in the invited audience for Chris Paton's Zoom presentation Scottish Research Resources Before 1800 on Tuesday (Burns Night). The talk will not only be 'before 1800', it will be at 10am in the morning (London time) so that those in Australia and New Zealand can attend.

Tip: you don't have to enter relatives from the Scotland census to have a have of winning - but you do have to complete your My Prizes page.

11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 68 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 10,711 new entries have been added and
    • 608 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Everything is up this week and what a great week with lots of matches. The competition is still going strong so keep adding your relatives.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Hands, Face, Masks. #Staysafe

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-1-28_10-16-22.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  12. peter

Red Dragon is absolutely on the ball (as usual) - you must complete your My Prizes page to have a chance of winning! There are sufficient prizes remaining that every regular user of the forum could win one (or more!) - but it's up to you to make this happen.

And whether you win a prize or not, the greatest reward is the discovery of a new cousin to collaborate with!

13. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 37 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 8,829 new entries have been added and
    • 678 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives Matched up this week but the other numbers are still strong.
    The ratio of New Entries to Relatives Matched was just over 13, every 13th person added created a match for 2 people.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Hands, Face, Masks. #Staysafe

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-2-4_10-6-7.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  14. peter

Goodness me, Friday already? Soon I'll be updating the formula that calculates your Match Potential so you might want to make a note of what it is now.

Winners of the remaining 'solo' competition prizes (The Genealogist subscription, British Newspaper Archive subscription, and the 'brick wall' session with Sarah Williams) have been drawn and all notified by email - one lives in the UK, one in Ireland, and one in Australia, but the most important thing is that all three are forum members, though one only joined recently.

Were you invited to attend yesterdays interview and Q&A with Baroness Scott? Wasn't it interesting - even if we didn't get answers to the two key questions that were on everyone's lips.

15. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, it was interesting (and thank you for the invitation), although not quite what I had been expecting.

16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 64 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,868 new entries have been added and
    • 110 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Members up this week but this is to be expected now the competition has stopped.
    But all the numbers are above the 20 week average, so they're all very good.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-2-11_10-17-37.png

17. peter

Yes, very good numbers considering that the competition has just ended. Several members have written to me to say that having found their first 'lost cousin' as a result of the competition, and that this has encouraged them to enter the rest of their relatives even though the competition has ended - so that may account for the figures.

There are more prizes to be awarded when the dates of the relevant presentations have been fixed - for the most up to date situation check your My Prizes page (though if you didn't enter the competition I'm afraid you won't qualify for any prizes).

18. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 39 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,582 New Entries have been added and
    • 172 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives Matched up this week and the ratio of New Entries to Matches is 15, which means on average every 15th entry produced a match.
    But all the numbers are above the 20 week average, so they're all very good.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-2-18_10-32-46.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  19. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 15 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,631 New Entries have been added and
    • 81 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers down this week, we get weeks like this after such a major competition.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-2-25_10-42-4.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  20. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 16 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,759 New Entries have been added and
    • 60 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Members and New Entries up this week, but on the whole still a quiet week.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2022-3-4_10-27-45.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2