1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 census release

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by webwiz, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Just realised that the address is on the Front page - not the Cover!
    As you say the Cover just shows the district and parish etc. The left hand side of the Front page actually has the name of the person filling in the census and the address.

2. stevejm

stevejm LostCousins Star

Sorry everyone!
    As has been pointed out, I should have typed "and click on the "front" image", rather than the "cover".
    I was going a bit cross-eyed this morning trying to find one of my grandmothers - not at home, and nowhere else it seems!

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I am initially only interested in knowing where my Dad was in 1921 but there are far too many John Joyce's listed for me to be able to find out at this time. Even with the birth date of 1908, there are too many. I know that in 1924 he was in the National Sea Training Homes in Wallasey(?) Cheshire(?) according to his sister's emigration form but would he have been there in 1921? He would have only been 13 then. (His real name according to birth registration was Jack, but it was in the 1911 census as John and his sister listed him as John as well. I put Jack in the search and only John came up )

I did look for my aunt as well, who would have been 8; there is one possibility but no names listed, just "Alice is on this record" I may decide to pay for it but not today. I know she was not with her mother, as my grandmother was already here in Canada.

4. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I have already paid for and downloaded two images which include my father and both paternal grandfathers. My paternal grandfather died in 1920, but my grandmother and my father's sister are proving harder to find. The additional information on the original returns has proved helpful and even surprising.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I think you'll find that if you enter more than one name it will return households which have any of those names. Probably best to check this out on a free census....

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

My very first peek at the 1921 census ( after reading all the useful tips) made me laugh. My mother's first name is Ivy and it has been transcribed as "Joy".
    From the mid 1960's all her friends referred to her as "Joy " and she only used "Ivy" on legal documents. There is very little difference in the way she wrote a "J" or "I" although her handwriting in general was always very legible.

7. JoyNor

JoyNor Guest

Hmm? I found my paternal grandparents with 3 of their children, very clear on the form as Grandad had excellent handwriting but their daughter Lena has been transcribed as Janet. It looks nothing like Janet!

8. peter

Only 9 (23 if you include middle names). But surely you know where you father was born?

9. peter

I made 4 interesting discoveries in the first 3 households I purchased. Let's hope it continues that way!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

I've used all this useful advice to successfully find my great grandparents and 7 of the children living at home. It proved tricky because the surname was mis transcribed, as were various forenames. But what really threw me was the birth place of 5 of the children that were born on a Somerset farm. I haven't paid for the image yet but have to assume only the farm name was originally entered. Unfortunately there is a town of the same name in Warwickshire and that county has been listed as their birthplace. So a warning, somewhere in the transcription process the entries have been 'interpreted'.

11. peter

I think it's more likely that the form was amended by the enumerator or a census clerk - you'll know as soon as you view the image, because the amendment will appear in red or green.

12. Susan48

Has anyone tried printing downloaded images from the 1921 census? We're finding it doesn't work very well but are not sure why.

13. peter

Do you mean printing them using the Printer icon at Findmypast, or downloading the file then printing it out? The former hardly ever works for me, but it wouldn't be my choice anyway.

Many of the images seem to have high brightness and low contrast: whilst you can adjust this on screen in the Viewer, it doesn't change the downloaded file. I always use Irfanview to print out images, so it's only a few seconds more to adjust the image prior to printing. It's also easy to crop images in Irfanview.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Susan48

I meant downloading and then printing - printing using the printer icon at Findmypast didn't work.

We have just successfully printed a file by changing the orientation from portrait to landscape, although it's not clear to us why that made a difference as both looked all right in Preview.

15. peter

If you use Irfanview the image is automatically resized and rotated to fit the paper (assuming you have that option selected, which I always do). There are lots of other advantages, but I'll leave them to you to discover.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

<Only 9 (23 if you include middle names). But surely you know where you father was born?>

I found him. He was born in Queen Charlotte's Hospital, St Marylebone, County of London according to his registration of birth. He had no middle name. When I input the district as well as county I get 79 results for Jack/and or John, none of which match. If I narrow it down to within one year of 1908 I get 47 results and narrowing it even further to just 1908 I get 26. They all just say John. The second name is a possibility, it says parish Styal which is not on the birth registration, but it also says County of Cheshire which is where the naval training place was in 1924. Hovering over just says John is on this record.

I paid the $4.41; now I have to figure out just where the actual information is - piece, etc. And copy/paste it. There appear to have been a great many boys at this place; he is listed as #329. It also says his father is dead rather than unknown; most of the boys' names say that.

ETA: I clicked on print record, it said loading image but nothing further. I copied it to my hard drive and tried copying from there; I got the right-hand side of the page only, with the names missing. Both portrait and landscape.

I think I will try looking at the page for Alice as well.

17. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

RePrinting, The files as downloaded are quite large, and might print more easily if the resolution is reduced in a photo manipulation programme. I tried to print direct and the size of the file exceeded the printers, memory.

18. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

Is it possible to report a transcription error without buying the transcription? I can only find report image error on the image that I have purchased.
    Not too happy with the transcriptions so far, 2 image downloads and 2 transcription errors.

Update

Sorry just re-read Peter's last news letter and seen that there is no way of reporting an error without buying the transcription.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  19. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I had a number of transcription errors on the transcription that I purchased.
    The actual house address, my grandmother's occupation and employment address. I have sent a transcription error correction report.
    My grandmother's birth county had been incorrectly entered, but that was corrected on the transcription.
    The transcription showed what had been entered and then the transcribed birthplace.

20. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Some of my husband's relatives are reported as being born in 'Cheswick, Northumberland' when they were all born in Chiswick, Middlesex and were living there.