1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The 1939 Register

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by AdrienneQ, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

On HIS Death Registration??? Nobody else would know the names of his parents (who had died back in England). He would just be another Joe Bloggs, or whatever name he had chosen, with unknown parents. I am sure that there must have been many such individuals in Australia at that time. I have searched for his real name and drawn a blank. I have no idea what other name he may have chosen. He is unlikely to have used the name of somebody closely related to him. I probably have more chance of winning the lottery :) than of guessing his new name.

His daughter, who married just before his departure from England, also posted requests for news about him over 30 years later in Sydney and Adelaide publications (that I have found). Perhaps she put similar requests in other towns/countries that I have not found.

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Have you tried Sands Directory?

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have tried it briefly but it seems to be massive and difficult to find anything specific, even using an automated search. Unless, of course, you know how to take a short cut?

4. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Sorry Bryman, it's just hard slog:).

5. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I have just come across an entry in the 1939 register where the wife's occupation is given (both in the original and in the transcript) as "Underpaid domestic duties". Does this reflect frustration or a wry sense of humour, I wonder?

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure what it is intended to mean. The standard description for a housewife is 'Unpaid domestic duties', and being 'Unpaid' is surely worse than being 'Underpaid'?

There seem to be only 40 examples in the 1939 Register, so I suspect they are transcription errors. If the previous entry was 'Under school age' the enumerator might well have written 'Underpaid' by mistake.

7. Susan48

I had assumed it to be a transcription error, but it nevertheless made me smile.

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

If a transcription error,what does the original state?

9. peter

The original schedules haven't survived, so we don't now what the householder wrote. But we do know from the original post that it wasn't an error by a modern transcriber.

If you analyse the 40 examples Findmypast finds you might discern a pattern.

10. Susan48

My search method on Findmypast obviously wasn't sophisticated enough - I got over 1000 results when searching the occupation field, and the ones I looked at were not 'underpaid domestic duties', but 'unpaid domestic duties'.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. peter

I got about 8 million results when I searched for 'underpaid domestic duties' as it seems to perform a keyword search.

But I found that searching for just one word and using wildcards stopped this happening, ie '*underpaid*'

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Susan48

While searching for one of my White ancestors in Wiltshire in the 1939 register I came across another unusual entry. William White, born 25.4.1860, had under occupation "Lying dead (Farm Carter)". I suppose his body was still in the house, awaiting removal for burial.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. uncle024

uncle024 LostCousins Star

William is listed as a death aged 79 in September quarter 1939. What is also amusing is in the 1939 entry he is listed as Married, but head of household Rhoda White listed as Widowed, is in fact his wife, they married in 1886. The occupation entry is in a slightly different colour ink so was added later? I wonder if a ration book was issued for William! Thanks for sharing Susan.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Susan48

In 1939 my distant cousin Alice Hubbard and her future husband William Gornall were living at a Public Assistance Institution (P.A.I.) in Blofield, Norfolk, where they were both employed. Its name has been transcribed correctly (I double checked to make sure) - Lingwood Paw Law Institution.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. peter

It is spelled correctly on later pages, however.....

16. Susan48

Someone had a sense of humour ...

17. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Pets at Home!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1