1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Horns of a dilemma - My Heritage

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Many members, particularly those of long standing, will know I have a dislike for My Heritage (MyH) going way back and have posted my reasons, also way back (over 10 years) . With this in mind I am (as the saying goes) on the "horns of a dilemma" as a fellow researcher -tenuously and quite indirectly related and now more of a friend - has offered to cover a year's subscription to MyH based on their 'Complete' Unlimited package.

I receive a moderate number of DNA based matches (based on comparisons with my Ancestry DNA tests for myself and family) without having a MyH Tree or a subscription. Only three have ever led to anything, and one in particular led me to my researcher friend. MyH have forever been cajoling me to become a full member (leaving aside that I once was which even they probably have forgotten) culminating in their latest New Year offer (expiring January 1st) - 66% off the full price and for their 'Complete' unlimited package. (in round terms £220 down to £78 per annum (about £6.50 a month billed annually).

I said a third subscription was too much as I already subscribed to both Ancestry & FMP (and would give up neither) and said I would not under any circumstance pay the full price in a year's time (The subscription will automatically renew"). Even with with a loyalty discount of 25% (if I am lucky) that would still amount to £165 and far too much. I would need to take out the subscription and my friend reimburse me, which I know he would do, but am far from persuaded to take him up on his kind offer.

So can I ask is there anyone in the Forum who can recommend and explain the benefits I might draw from becoming once again a member of MyH and with their top 'Complete' subscription package. There is just one small 'carrot' that tempts me and that is they took over a French genealogy 'Filae' in the year and that might, just might, allow a break through in researching my late French brother-in-law's family (married to my Australian sister) and so far quite unsuccessfully.

But that is a mere icing on the cake, so I need to know what others who use MyH think and do they get good return for their money?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I get the same emails, but mine was offering 70% off. But I still won't be getting one.

3. Bob Spiers

Thanks Tim, and as I currently feel, despite the ability to better converse with my friend (as a fellow subscriber) and any possibility that the French Genealogical site 'Filae' might open up possibilities, that may well be my own decision. Even ignoring the old saying..."never look a gift horse in the mouth".

4. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I've onlt been offered 50%.
    You get access to all the photo enhancing extras, but I always remember your warnings, Bob.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

It's interesting that different people are being offered different discounts. Like Tim, I've been offered 70% off, but I don't intend taking up their offer. I have other packages for enhancing photos, and I doubt their records would offer me any more information than I can already access at other sites.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I received the same offer, but at 80%. It was $77.80 plus tax and after thinking about it for a few days I decided to go for it. However, since renewal is automatic I have put reminders on my phone to cancel before the date, one before the actual and another a week before. I am still holding out faint hope that someone with DNA matches for my paternal grandfather will contact me; so far those whom I have contacted do not bother to reply. Maybe someone from MH will be more forthcoming than those from Ancestry. My top two matches on MH are my maternal cousin's daughter and her daughter, and the next half dozen have been matched to the Joyce branch.

7. Bob Spiers

At the moment I will not be taking them up their offer (66%) -or even if they improve to 80%, though that is tempting - and smile at the variation in discount rates. I noticed yesterday just checking online that MyH are offering 60% to anyone so Katie Bee offered 50% could better this just by visiting their site; though that is an observation not a recommendation.

Let us know how you feel about your MyH subscription a little later down the line when you (hopefully) get some results. And be careful when trying to cancel as I had problems years ago when trying to do the same. Things may be different now of course.

8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It will be interesting to hear how you much you benefit from your subscription over the course of the next year.

A reminder for anyone following this discussion that you don't need a subscription to use DNA at MyHeritage.