1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Maker (FTM) - a survey

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by At home in NZ, Oct 9, 2021.

1. I might have posted this in the wrong place, I'm sure it will get moved if that is the case.

THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL SURVEY. I'm not shouting, it's capitalised for emphasis so people don't get the wrong idea.

Would those of you who use FTM please respond. I'd like to know which version of FTM you are using and if there is any particular reason why.

Thanks for your participation.:D

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I am currently using FTM 2019 for Mac.

Not sure there's a real reason I'm using it, other than I prefer to have the most updated version of software.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I use FTM 2019, also because it is the most updated.

4. Why is it so important to have the most updated version? Do you use any of the additional features that were not in the previous version?

5. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

FTM 2019 provides a reliable 2-way sync with Ancestry, which is as good a reason as any, I think - and now the only reason for using W10 for me. I also use FH6, but have transferred it to Linux as it works within the "wine" environment (it converts "windows" function calls to Linux equivalents).

6. jorghes

I think there's a perception that the latest version will be more likely to work better? I have previously had issues with programs not working because they're not the latest version so perhaps that's where my desire comes from.

As for the features - I have definitely used the Turn Back Time feature, which allowed me to roll back my FTM tree to remove a whole heap of problems/incorrect information in one hit. I am using the Tree Vault, and plan on renewing my subscription (which I think has just lapsed).

I constantly use the same filters and colour coding, usually in tandem - I find both really useful, particularly the smart update features of both.

7. Thanks for your explanations.
    The reason I was asking people to let me know which version they are using is because I feel as though I am being coerced into purchasing FTM2019 but I should make it clear, not by Software McKiev.
    I currently use FTM2017 combined with Charting Companion, I use the latter for creating various formats of ancestor and descendant charts
    An offer was made for an upgrade and I asked when support for the existing version (6) would cease. I was told the version is obsolete. I thought I should do the right thing and order the latest version (8) when I downloaded that, it wouldn’t work. I was then told it’s not compatible with FTM2017 and I should purchase FTM2019.or I could have the previous version, (7) I paid for that but there is one feature which is not working as it should. I asked for my money back and told them I would revert to version 6 as it was working well for me.

I was advised to look at their policy, part of it:
    Software is not a physical thing that you buy & own forever. It is a service that you rent during the time that you use the program. The longer you use the program, the more it has been useful to you, the more value it has delivered. You are getting your money's worth.

When I repeated my request for a refund I got this response:
    Most FTM customers have moved on and are using FTM 2019. Charting Companion ver. 7 is frozen, we have converted to a new technology and have standardized on FTM 2019. It is not practical to retrofit CC 8 to FTM 2017 due to the small number of customers using it.

I've looked at the comparisons for FTM Versions and still cannot justify the expense unless there is something I would really use.
    I don't colour code my branches, I have Photo shop and other means of tinkering with photos, I am not interested in sending my data to the heavens as we have a very good back up regime.
    In the blurb they mention
    Charts & Reports
    View and share your discoveries with a variety of colorful family tree charts, such as pedigree, descendant, bowtie and fan charts, and create reports that provide a snapshot of your family tree and help you plan what to research next.
    However I can't find any examples of what they look like.

Can FTM2019 produce charts in these formats?
    upload_2021-10-10_16-1-21.png

upload_2021-10-10_16-1-40.png

8. jorghes

With a bit of fiddling, this is what I managed (note they're not images per se, they were on A4 paper), but there is an option to save the template for what you created.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Sorry to arrive a bit late to this thread.

I use FTM 2019 for similar reasons to those already mentioned. The reliable 2-way sync to Ancestry is important to me, and this is likely to work best with the latest version.

I make a lot of use of the colour coding and filters and I find the smart filtering particularly useful. Although, like you, I have other means of tinkering with photos, I've found the inbuilt photo darkroom useful for improving photos quickly in situ.

10. Very much appreciated, thanks so much.

FTM2017 sync has never caused any problems for me.

I'll think on it. Although the tight wad side of me makes me think it's more than likely I will stick with the older version of CC in conjunction with FTM2017 until either one or the other 'croaks'.

11. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I occasionally had problems with the previous version, but since upgrading it has always gone smoothly - may just be luck of course!

12. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Even later to pick up the thread than Helen, I have to say you remind me of my father -attitude only and don't take offence because often his ways made more sense and saved money at the time (underlined because it is an important point). So, where he hung on to the last possible moment for expending 'hard earned' money (his words) on anything NEW (or even second hand) as the existing item -whatever it might be - had stood him/us in good stead for ages he thought my viewpoint then (and even now with a few modifications ) to progress to something new and (as is often the case) better, was profligate. Even when performing under my own steam (ie earning my own way in life) he would often chide about me discarding the old for the new, despite my protests that in so doing I would reap the benefit of new technology, save time and in the long run money. He rarely agreed.

On the subject of FTM I use FTM 2019 and find it does the job well and an improvement on 2017 and before. I have some reservations about McKiev as a company, and possibly the way they operate, but their product is sound and since the syncing process is now pretty smooth almost all the time, I do not regret at any point upgrading when the arrival of 2019 was announced.

13. I think your father and mine would have got on well!!
    You won't be surprised, or maybe you will while I tell you I am using an iron that was probably made in the 1960's in England. The steam function has long since given up the ghost but I didn't miss that function at all. Said iron was brought to NZ by mother-in-law in about 1974 and never made it out of its box, she gave it to me as a 'spare' and I didn't start using it until I left the husband and struck out on my own in 1989. Therefore it was still brand new and has served me well for 32 years.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I use 2019. The reasons for upgrading to the latest software are many but you have just encountered one of them. Unfortunately, there are many things that impact whether software will continue to work for you.
    You have changes in Operating systems that can force updates. Changes in Internet Browsers can stop programs working, and in your case changes in other software requiring you to update. And then there are security updates.

Now you can continue using older software as long as it does the job and it remains secure, but at some point you'll realise that things aren't working properly and you get forced to switch. When software is developed, it's developed to work with the latest versions and they try and drop older versions as quickly as possible.

For an example, Ancestry only recommends 3 web browsers; Chrome, Firefox and Safari. So if you're using Internet Explorer (please don't) or Edge, then you might have issues.

15. Ah, the dreaded ie. Once I'd found Chrome I never looked back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Whilst I agree entirely about discontinuing the use of Internet Explorer (forever recognised as ie) all of the other popular browsers -including Edge which is Chrome in drag:rolleyes: - work with Ancestry and my particular favourite on the device which I mostly use to access Ancestry, is 'Opera' not mentioned by Tim or Ancestry.

I've lost count of the web sites who promote Chrome, developed by Google which is enough inducement for any recommendation but in truth (and my own experience) ALL browsers will work with Ancestry. The cause of any outages experienced when so doing is in the lap of the gods...but look to Ancestry overload in the first place. If the outage continues -leaving aside the clearance of Cookies which is just good housekeeping - select another Browser and see if that makes a difference. It probably won't especially if the problem is Ancestry's end, but it may just be down to a Browser hiccup. In the long run (or after a reboot) things will be back to normal anyway and can revert to your normal browser, or switch as the mood takes you.

17. I have contacted McKiev, they have no plans to stop support for FTM2017. I have informed CC with words to the effect that I will continue to use it and expect versions of their product that are compatible with FTM2017 also to continue to be supported. I don't have a response yet.

18. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Years ago I bought FTM2012 when I thought it was the bees knees and it was new out. When support for it ceased I thought I could use it, but without the synch to ancestry. Sadly that didn't work as it no longer retained data. Everytime I exited the software and came back it was blank. I now use Legacy as the MacKiev software was so expensive. I have tried RM and Family Historian but don't like the interface.