1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Owlet Fever

Discussion in 'Medicine' started by sarahws6, Aug 21, 2021.

1. sarahws6

sarahws6 Member

Google has failed me and unfortunately so too has Familyhistorygal's interesting link to the Register of Causes of Death 1893-1907.
    Has anyone heard of owlet fever, please?
    It cropped up in a Kent newspaper snippet from late 1907 about a family member from Murston being fined one pound at the Sittingbourne petty sessions for obstructing an "order made under Section 124 of the Public Act for the removal of one or his children who was suffering from owlet fever, to the infectious hospital. Three [other] children had gone to the hospital, and he objected to the removal of the fourth. The proceedings were taken were taken by the Milton District Council."
    Thanks!

• Misleading Misleading x 1
  2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. I had a look at the article in question in the Sheerness Times Guardian dated 30 November 1907 on FMP and the children were suffering from scarlet fever.

3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I much prefer owlet fever!

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. sarahws6

sarahws6 Member

Many thanks for that guidance, Heather. So... owlet was an OCR error for scarlet? (I've not got a subscription that lets me see the original image).

• Agree Agree x 1