1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Twins puzzle

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Helen7, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I'm no statistician, but in response to the twin sheep puzzle, I would think the answer is two-thirds or 2 in 3 that the other twin is female.

My reasoning is this:
    There are 4 possible combinations for the M/F sexes of the twins:
    M-M
    M-F
    F-M
    F-F

So without the genetic test, the chances of one male and one female is 50%.

However, the genetic test removes one of the possibilities, i.e. the F-F, leaving just 3 possible combinations, two of which include a female. So the odds are now 2/3 in favour of the second twin being female.

Is this correct?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I'm no statistician either and I was going to suggest that the answer is dependent on whether the twins are identical or fraternal.

However, I have a feeling that identical twins in sheep are pretty rare, so on the assumption that the twins are almost certainly fraternal, I think the sex of the second twin will be unaffected by the sex of the first.

That would mean there is a 50% chance that the second twin is female.

That figure would probably need to be reduced slightly to take account of the small chance of the twins being identical.

3. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

I came to the same conclusion before looking on this forum, with the same reasoning.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Ah, but which is the first twin and which is the second?

5. peter

Well-spotted - the analysis in New Scientist didn't take this into account, and whilst I wrote in to remind them of this possibility, they haven't published the letter (yet).

6. Pauline

That was just my shorthand - I wasn't putting them in order of conception or anything. I probably shouldn't have used the words "first" and "second" at all.

7. peter

Similarly my response was my shorthand pointing you in the direction of the flaw in your reasoning. If the order of birth made no difference then there would have been only 3 possibilities at the outset, not 4 as listed by Helen7.

8. Pauline

If you take any random sheep having twins, then she may be carrying two male lambs, two female or one of each.

However, we are not talking about a random sheep here, but one where at least one of her twins is known to be male.

My thinking was, does knowing that one of the twins is male tell us anything about the other twin, assuming fraternal twins? I would say not - each twin has a 50% chance of being female regardless of what the other twin happens to be.

9. peter

That's certainly true at the start. But then you have to take into account the new information.

The DNA test eliminates F-F. The question is, how are the other possibilities affected by that new information?

Clearly at the outset there was a 50% chance of the twins being the same sex; if we accept your solution then there's still a 50% chance of the twins being the same gender even though F-F has been eliminated. Does that seem reasonable to you?

10. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

That was my initial thought as well when I read the article in the newsletter.

11. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

Label the two uteruses as A and B. In principle either could be male or female so the possibilities are MM, MF, FM or FF. However we can eliminate FF from the blood test. Of the 3 remaining 2 include a F so the odds are 2 in 3.

12. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

The maths behind this is the same as the famous Monty Hall problem.

13. peter

In case my cousin, who is a farmer, is watching I should point out that sheep only have one uterus, but it is divided into two coruna.

14. Pauline

When you put it like that, no!

15. ColinJ

ColinJ LostCousins Member

Let's call the sheep "Sheep 1" and "Sheep 2". Looking at the 4 possibilities put forward by Helen7 (see the first reply):
    • If sheep 1 was tested, we can eliminate F-M and F-F as Sheep 1 has been tested as being male.
    • If sheep 2 was tested, we can eliminate M-F and F-F as Sheep 2 has been tested as being male.
    • In both cases, we are left with two possibilities, with the other sheep having a 50% chance of being female. This does not of course take into account the possibility of both sheep being more likely than not of being the same sex.

16. peter

It was the mother who was tested.

17. peter

The Monty Hall problem was featured in the newsletter on 2013 - the problem and solution were stated here.

Mathematically they're very similar problems, but there are some added complications to the Monty Hall problem (eg does the host always make the same offer).

18. Pauline

At the risk of digging myself deeper into a hole here, I think what confused me was, a while back, the question was posed that if someone was expecting their second child and already had a daughter, what was the likelihood of the second child being a boy (excluding medical & genetic factors).

I think - hope - I am right in saying that a subtle difference with this question is that we not only know that one of the two children is a girl, we also which of them is a girl.

19. peter

We know that at least one is male - nothing more.

20. Pauline

Yes, I wasn't questioning that, just commenting on getting confused. :confused:

I had statistics buzzing around my head last night which hindered my sleep somewhat. I tried counting sheep but that didn't really help! ;)

• Creative Creative x 1