1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Messaging DNA matches

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by Pauline, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I manage my sister's test through my Ancestry account but, as was then obligatory, her results are also in an account in her name which I have access to but never use, as I can do everything through my own account.

Or so I thought....

A few times recently I have messages relating to her DNA go to her own account rather than to mine, one of which was a reply to a message I'd sent to a match in her list.

Looking at my match list, I can see a number of matches whose tests are being managed by someone else. So, for example, I have a match with N whose test is managed by someone called C. When I view this match there is a white clickable box near the top of the page which say 'Message', and lower down the page, a green clickable box which says 'Contact C'.

Clicking either box opens up the Messaging page but shows the message is going to N not to C.

Shouldn't the message be going to C as test manager?

It looks to me as though something is amiss here, and if so I'll report it to Ancestry, but I was wondering if others are experiencing the same thing, and if others agree that messages should be going to the test manager.

2. Pauline

Doing a bit more experimenting with this, who messages go to seems to be a bit variable, with some going to the match's manager and others bypassing the manager and going to the match. But I haven't worked out any pattern to this.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I've found the same. If it shows the message is going to the match rather than the manager, I go back, click on the manager to go to the manager's profile page and message them from there (from the green clickable 'Message' box).

I agree that the messages should be going to the test manager automatically, but as you say this doesn't always seem to be happening, unless you force it by messaging the test manager directly.

4. Pauline

Thanks, Helen. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to come across this issue. I was likewise thinking that a way around it would be to click on the manager and message them directly.

However, while that would work OK if we want to send a message, it may not work as well when someone is trying to message one of us about a test we manage. Firstly, they might not realise that the message should be going to the manager, and secondly a non-subscriber can only message a DNA match - they wouldn't be able to message a manager directly from their profile page.

5. Pauline

I've just had a long tedious chat with Ancestry support. First I got told that there was no issue with the messaging feature and the problem was at my end, so I needed to clear my cache & cookies, try a different browser etc!! Been there, done that, always do before I contact support.

Eventually I managed to get across what the problem was and after a long exchange was told that messages to DNA matches can no longer be sent to the test manager because of privacy issues. That sounds rather odd to me, but it was an hour into our chat and I was beginning to lose the will to live, so I just gave up at this point.

6. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

When did this change?
    My top match, apart from my niece and known cousin, is managed by someone else. I have sent messages to this person more than once with no reply. I just checked and can see that the message went to the manager, not the actual match. I just checked and clicked on the send message; it appears that it is still going to the manager. The match only has initials but the managing person's name is given, which would appear to probably be the wife.

7. Pauline

I don’t know for sure if this is a policy change or something not working. But with some matches the messages seem to be going to the manager, and with others not.

I don’t see how someone can manage a test properly if messages about it don’t go to the manager.

8. Helen7

It does seem to have changed, as I'm sure my messages used to always go to the test manager. Out of interest, I've just checked what happens with the first 10 on my list whose tests are managed by someone else, and 9 of them would now go to the match (some of whom don't appear to have Ancestry accounts, so probably wouldn't get the message anyway). This happens even if I've previously messaged the test manager.

That's a very good point, Pauline. It could make it very difficult for people to contact us. I manage my husband's test, and whilst he'll tell me if he gets a message notification and then I'll contact the person, it's obviously better if they message me directly.

9. Pauline

I've now left some feedback at Ancestry suggesting that they revert to the system previously in place, where all messages about DNA matches are directed to the test manager, where one exists, rather than the test owner.
    Strictly speaking my DNA test is managed by my husband, and is shown as such to all my DNA matches, but I don't have my own Ancestry account. What we consider to be "our'' Ancestry account happens to be in his name, and when I did my DNA test it wasn't necessary to open an account in your own name as well. So, unlike my sister's DNA test, mine has no other home, nor anywhere else to send messages about it.

10. Helen7

Let's hope they take notice of the feedback.
    So if someone contacts you about your DNA, does the message go to your husband?

11. Pauline

I suppose, strictly speaking, yes, and he gets the email notification about it (if there is one). However, since we treat the account as 'ours' I just go and read the messages as and when - they are almost always for me.