1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Does FTM know what date it is?

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, May 30, 2021.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My sister's ex-husband passed away yesterday. When I entered the date of death into FTM an error message popped up saying the date was in the future. Hmmm...May 29, 2021 is in the future?

I noticed this another time recently when I entered a date for this year.

2. I use FTM but don't normally enter data because I work in Ancestry then sync. However, as an experiment I used a person who didn't have a death date and entered 31 May 2021 in the date field. I didn't get any message.
    I changed the death date to 1 Jun 2021 and got a message to say the date is in the future.

Have you checked the date in your device?

3. canadianbeth

Where would I find that?

4. If you are using a desk top computer with Windows 10 it should be at the bottom right hand corner. Otherwise I don't know but every device has the date and time in it somewhere.

Another thought, from my partner so don't blame me if this isn't right - it could be due to time zone, for example at certain times of the day in NZ it is yesterday in the UK

5. canadianbeth

Oh, I thought meant the date in the program, not my computer. And I suppose it could be due to the time zone. I do not know where the FTM people are but the most likely places are ahead of Calgary.

6. Vicky13

Vicky13 LostCousins Member

I have been told that the date FTM uses is the date you opened the program. So if you leave it open for days at a time it can get confused.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  7. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

I advise closing FTM each night (at the latest) for that reason and also for security in case of a computer crash or power outage, even if you primarily update on Ancestry.