1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Marriage Notice Book, St George the Martyr, Southwark

Discussion in 'Surrey' started by At home in NZ, Apr 1, 2021.

1. I have raised this under 'Surrey' because at the time the notices were written Southwark was in Surrey.

I cannot remember how long I've had this bookmarked or how I found it, it is a set of records that are not transcribed and I found them fascinating because they are registrations of intended marriage.

All those I have looked at were not intended to be Anglican Church marriages, there is a mix of Catholic, Tabernacle and other 'non conformist' religions.
    It covers the period 23 Oct 1838 to 23 May 1856 therefore it could be useful for ascertaining where somebody actually did marry, if the registration district is Southwark or adjacent thereto.

You can find the book in this link: the Marriage Notice Book

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

The link just takes me to Ancestry. Have you a name for the record set?

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The link is fine so long as you have an Ancestry subscription and are logged-in.

4. peter

It seems to be a book kept by the Registrar of Marriages because his attendance was required for a legal marriage to be conducted outside the CofE.

5. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

Apologies. It's working fine now. I was sure I had logged in at my second attempt this morning!

6. Apologies, I should have mentioned the need to be logged in.
    I remember now, I was trawling though the whole film of London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1926 when I came across the book.

The book records intentions of a couple to get married outside the CofE

It would be so nice if Ancestry would transcribe it.

7. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Ancestry is free for the Easter weekend, so anyone can now see the Marriage Notice Book as long as they have an Ancestry login.
    They do not need a subscription until Tuesday 6th April

8. peter

Also see my newsletter, out later today. And make sure you save any records you find on your own computer, otherwise they won't be available when the offer ends, even if you attach them to your tree.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1