1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 census release

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by webwiz, Mar 15, 2021.

1. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

I can't find any mention of this elsewhere on this forum but apologies if I've missed it.

Does anyone know when we might expect it?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Release date is 6th Jan 2022

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Tim's right about the England & Wales census (it has been mentioned several times in my newsletter), but the Scotland census should be out this summer.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. As per usual FMP gets priority. I found an (older) announcement in this link.
    I look forward to seeing the 'greater detail' in the last paragraph.

5. Tim

I wonder if it's safe to assume that it will only be on FMP for a year or so before being available on other sites?

6. Probably. Like the 1939 register was.
    A friend of mine has said 'I expect that at the beginning they will charge extra for it.'

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Not quite Peter. There is a one line comment on the Scottish National Archives website that says the census will be available in 2021 and a host of people have jumped on the bandwagon to take this as oh well that must mean exactly 100 years to the day after the census was taken. Scotlands People have since confirmed that they have yet to make an announcement on the date and don't expect it to be this summer.

8. peter

The period will depend on the terms of the contract, though it's likely to more like 2 years than 1.

But what's not safe to assume is that it will be included in existing FMP subscriptions - because of the vast investment involved neither the 1911 Census nor the 1939 Register were when first released, and in both cases subscription prices went up when they were eventually added.

9. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I have just heard on BBC1 Morning Live that the 1921 Census will be available on Findmypast from Jan 6th 2022.
    It was about 20 minutes into the program.
    Findmypast confirm the date here

10. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

How much will the census cost?
    £2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image.

But not clear if these prices are available to non subscribers

11. Tim

For all 12-month Pro subscribers, there will be a 10% discount on any 1921 Census purchases.

Even with the discount I'm not sure I'll be looking at many/if any records.

1921 Census page at Findmypast

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. peter

I'll want to see my father, my grandparents, and my great-grandparents who were still alive - that's 6 households costing just under £19 (with my 10% discount for being a PRO subscriber).

13. Tim

My parents were born in the 30's.

I have a number of families where having the 1921 census would help, in fact I have 561 families on the 1911 census, and so give or take will have a similar amount on the 1921, which would cost over £1,700

I will be waiting for a better deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

So even with a 10% discount it will cost £2.25 for a transcript, and if anxious to see the original (as many will be) an additional £3.15 Total £5.40 per time. Will have to think hard, think very hard and think VERY hard again, before committing to a purchase.

I have never liked the way 'ScotlandsPeople' after permitting a free index search, require credits to view. For BMD & Censuses) the cost is £1.50 (or 6 credits). I buy Credit Vouchers from time to time (at long intervals) and currently I have 27 Credits remaining. So that will cover 4 more purchases. Not sure how long ago I bought vouchers and will have to be careful they do not expire as they only last 2 years, unless further vouchers are bought.

But its one thing to contemplate buying SP Vouchers (minimum buy 30 costing £7.50) than singleton £2.25/£3.15/£5.40 (with a Pro Subscription bear in mind) - that will soon make holes in ones budget.

Yes I am aware of FMP's financial investment and the need to recover costs, but they will have to come up with a 6/12 month extra Pro Subscription cost to include the 1921 Census - and for me to consider if that is worthwhile - before I venture into the 1921 Census. I know I have a handful of 'must views' lined up but that might have to get whittled down to one or two. After all I am not made of money and Family History Research, is a hobby and expensive enough already.

What do others think (apart from Tim who has already made his position clear and with which I am in agreement)

15. peter

Yes, but they're not all of equal interest, are they? In 2007 I spent £42 on a single census schedule from the 1911 Census because I wanted my aunt to see it while she was still alive, and since she was already in her 90s I couldn't be sure she'd be around when the census eventually went online. As it happens she was, but only because it came out early - she died before the original release date.

I still haven't bothered looking up all of the branches in 1911 because even though I could enter them at LostCousins, my time is better spent on the 1841 and (especially) 1881 censuses where I have new branches to follow up following DNA matches.

I will use the 1921 Census sparingly but wisely. I imagine most people will do the same.

16. peter

A word of warning - when Findmypast included the 1911 Census in subscriptions they charged extra. I think it was £160 in total for the equivalent of a Plus subscription (there were no newspapers or overseas records in those days).

The more people who choose the pay-per-view option the sooner they'll recover their investment. Fortunately, other than serious researchers like us, most people aren't going to be prepared to spend over £100 on a 12 month subscription - they'll consider that a ludicrous amount of money.

17. Tim

I'd happily pay an extra £20 a year to get 1921 as part of my subscription.
    In fact, I'm now considering stopping my FMP subscription and just waiting for when it becomes part of subscription.

18. peter

A reminder that it was £40 extra in 2010, and it was an 18 month wait before there was a subscription option (a standalone 1911 subscription was £59.95). It's anyone's guess what they will do this time - even they won't have made up their mind yet.

19. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I will try to anyway! There are a few entries that I am very keen to look at, and I am not always very good at waiting when I don’t have to! The 1911 census solved a nice little mystery for me, and fingers crossed, the 1921 might just solve another.

20. Ditto.

I might get my hand slapped for having the audacity to mention such an idea but, could LC be set up with its own version of FMP giving access to all paying members (I'd be willing to pay extra for the privilege).
    Could we then look at the 1921 census and pay for each view and record on an individual basis?

Failing the latter and knowing FMP is such a firm favourite of LC I still think it could be a good idea. Especially for those of us who are Ancestry fanatics and cannot or don't want to afford both. After all, FMP is vital for when we enter our Ancestors in LC.

The idea came from the knowledge that all NZ libraries provide free access to FMP if you are a library member.