1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Sync failed. Restore from backup

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Feb 16, 2021.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

When I shut everything down last night there was a box underneath everything else that said restore had been done. I checked and the person that I had added was not there. Today when I opened the program, the person was there again and I got the same message when I tried to sync. I did compact before trying the sync. If I knew what I had done wrong I could try to fix it but just saying an error in the database tells me nothing.

2. Personally I wouldn't be adding people to FTM while it is in error mode because it could compound the problem.
    Personally I use Ancestry for building my tree then sync it to FTM. Because my tree in Ancestry is the most up to date I consider it to be an additional back up and can use it to repair or rebuild a tree in FTM should it be necessary.

If you have tried everything HERE, I can't suggest anything else other than to be persistent with your requests for assistance from McKiev.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. canadianbeth

Thank you. I did a compact and tried the sync - got the error again. So I did the download from Ancestry; everything seems to be there except the name I changed and the names I added, but that was what I was hoping to see. The military and AKA records did not show up until I did the custom view at the bottom, added those and the information showed up. There will be other custom views that I will have to add, like Baptism, etc., but since the military and AKA showed right away, I expect the others will as well. I did another sync after I changed a name from Joyce to Joice, and then again after I added the parents to another person, both times it worked.

Thank you to everyone for all your help. (I would still like to know what I did wrong however, so I do not do it again)

I do wonder though, why it is suggested that a compact be done before every sync.

Oh, and I saved that repairing a tree page. :)

I have another question though. Ancestry gave my ancestor Joice another spouse - he already had three but they gave him one with his name, so that Henry Joice had a spouse with the name Henry Joice, marriage date the same as one of his wives. I deleted that second Henry but now it says unknown spouse. How do I remove that?

4. canadianbeth

I found the answer. I bought the 2017 Companion Guide some time ago and eventually found it under Relationship Mistakes. I just wonder if Ancestry will not put him back when I sync again.

5. FTM has an inbuilt Help.
    Click on Help at the top, then choose Help for Family Tree Maker, it's first in the list in mine.
    There is a section on Managing Tree Files, this is in that section:
    As you add, delete, move, and edit records and objects in your tree file, the database may need some periodic maintenance. The easy-to-use Compact File tool helps you to perform that maintenance, resulting in a smaller and smoother-running tree file.
    I can't find anything about compacting before syncing, all I know is that it was recommended to me especially when syncing a large amount of data. I have done it ever since and never had any problems.

Pleased to be of help, best of luck

6. canadianbeth

Ok, I did a few more changes/entries today and did another successful sync. Do I dare to delete the previous file, since it is corrupted anyway?

7. That's good news. Provided you have a full back up of the new tree and you are happy it is working properly I can't see the harm in deleting the old corrupt one. The old one is of no use to you now.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1