1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Sync failed. Restore from backup

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Feb 16, 2021.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

That is the message I just received while trying to sync FTM to Ancestry.

"Unfortunately you have a database error that cannot be repaired. You should first try restoring from a backup and syncing again. If that does not work you will need to upload or download your tree to be able to sync"

How would I have a database error when I have not done anything differently? How do I restore from a backup? From my desktop or USB stick (last done Jan 10)?

2. In FTM, do a Compact and tick both boxes, then do another Compact until it's down to 0.00%. That might fix the so called error.
    I always do a Compact before I sync, it's a long winded way to go about things but it's recommended by McKiev.

If that doesn't resolve the problem and your tree in Ancestry is up to date you can create a GEDCOM and load that into FTM and sync it.

3. canadianbeth

I did a Compact twice and still get that message. I cannot figure out how make a GEDCOM from Ancestry because it tells me to select the file from my computer and I cannot find where to find it. And why would an Ancestry file be on my computer anyway? Only the FTM one should be there and it is obviously corrupted although I cannot understand why. I guess I do not sync any more; just add people manually and not bother with documents and such.

4. Go to Tree Settings from the drop down to the right of your tree name. Find the heading 'Manage your tree' click on the green 'Export Tree' button, make sure you select GEDCOM before you save it.
    In FTM you can import the GEDCOM as if you were starting a new tree.
    Good luck.

5. canadianbeth

Now I have two trees with the same name, but the second one is missing a lot of information that Ancestry would not necessarily have, like military information for one example.

6. You can rename a tree so you know which is which.
    If you have been syncing until now, why would your Ancestry tree not have the information?

7. canadianbeth

I do not know. All I know is that the first entries, mine and my husband's, do not list our military information or my AKA. Also, none of my grandmother's media or my great-grandparents' media and I know that I have sync'd a lot of that previously; that is how it got there.

8. That depends on where you have captured the information. There are some things that do not get synced, I'd suggest you click on Help at the top of FTM and choose Help for Family Tree Maker then look at the part called 'Syncing Local and Online Trees' where you will find information about syncing and lists of what does and does not sync
    You could also look at this McKiev support site.

9. canadianbeth

There is no media at all. The page is empty, no birth registrations, census pages, photos, nothing. I must have downloaded an incorrect gedcom.

10. There is only one way to do it in Ancestry, I don't know why it's dropped so much off.
    Having another look at FTM, I see in the New Tree tab it is possible to download a tree from Ancestry. It brings up the tree and a Download button at bottom right. Have a go at that and see what happens.

11. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Backups are stored, by default in the Family Tree Maker folder - where all other files are stored.

FTM tends to automatically backup when you shut it down, so there should be a backup somewhere.

12. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

As jorghes said, in your FTM folder there may be a backup file ( tree-name-date.ftmb ). In my case, I manually take a backup during a compact (not every time and usually before a sync) or via the "file" menu drop-down. You can then restore using the entry in the "file" drop-down - preferably closing any open "tree" first.

13. canadianbeth

Nothing I have tried works. I did the download from Ancestry and got the same result. I could not find the backup files on my computer although I know they are there. I tried restoring using the USB drive but going back to August since I assumed that using the January 10th one would probably still have the error. That did not work either; it would not restore; I know this because a person I added the other day was still there. I have tried over and over again to sync and get the same error so I guess I am out of luck. I did send a sync error report but of course, got no reply.

14. Do another compact and ask for a back up to be created and watch to see where it files it. Write down the file path if necessary.
    Without checking the documentation I think you'll find the auto backup is not a full back up. Likewise the one it creates when it is closed down but all the back ups it has done should be in the same folder.

15. canadianbeth

The last backup before January 10th was August 31st. When I click on Restore and then that file it asks me if I want to delete the tree. I am not going there so just cancelled.

16. I don't blame you.
    There are instructions on how to restore from back up in the McKiev site HERE I've quickly looked through it and there doesn't appear to be anything about deleting a tree.

I'd suggest you use the latest back up you can find, if it is out of date and you have added things to Ancestry it should update when you sync.

One thing to bear in mind, regular back ups are essential and I'd suggest you do a compact before you do a sync, every time.
    I'm speaking from experience, I had a right mess in one of my trees and was told by the 'help desk' that I must do the Compact before I sync.

17. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

If your tree is on Ancestry then you can just download it again, media and all. This happened to me last month.

18. Keep up Tim, Canadianbeth has already tried that see #13
    :)

19. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes I saw that. But unless you import it as a new tree you haven't loaded what you downloaded. Rename the old tree that doesn't work and download again.

20. Not sure I totally understand that. It's 11.35pm ish in NZ (I'm going to bed next) and 3.30am ish in Calgary so Canadianbeth is unlikely to see your post soon.
    If she has no joy with what I last suggested perhaps she'll try your suggestion if she can understand it better than I do.
    Good night.