1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Missing entry on 1881 Census at FindMyPast

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by JaniceO, Dec 22, 2020.

1. JaniceO

JaniceO LostCousins Member

Hi, has anyone come across a relative who is listed on the transcript page of the 1881 England and Wales Census (found through Ancestry), but when checking the name through clicking on the grey arrow next to his name on Lost Cousins and bringing up the FindMyPast Census page, the child does not show up at the FindMyPast record, even though the rest of his family are there. Looking at the Census image from Ancestry, he is clearly named on the same page as his family. I have still added him to My Ancestors on LostCousins, is this correct? I've come across family members being split across 2 pages, but this is the first time for this issue

2. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

I had a red exclamation mark against one of my Lost Cousins entries yesterday, and having gone to the FindmyPast record, although he is shown on the image he, and a couple of others, are not shown on the FindmyPast list of people.
    Was going to check again today to see if I have missed something

3. JaniceO

Good to know someone else had this issue recently. I didn't have a red flag against the person concerned, but I did check again today by clicking on the grey arrow next to his name. He still didn't show up on the FindMyPast search. However, I clicked on the transcript icon next to his name on the FindMyPast page and he showed up there. Unfortunately I can't display the census image as I don't have a subscription with them.

4. The census image is the same in both Ancestry and FMP, it is only the way it is transcribed that can be different. I seem to remember I raised something similar to this in another discussion and it is all explained there, however I can't find it now.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. JaniceO

Thanks for confirming the images are the same on both sites. The transcripts are also the same, however the problem is on the FMP results page .. that's where the person is missing

6. I've now found the discussion I referred to, try this link

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Please bear in mind that a red exclamation mark doesn't indicate an error, only that you should check the entry carefully against the census. The LostCousins system does not compare entries against the census, all it does is compare entries with others in the database.

The chance of an error that you make being identified with a red exclamation mark is about 1 in 50 - in other words most of your errors will go unnoticed. That's why ALL entries should be checked against the census using the arrows provided.