1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Unusual names

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by PaulC, Aug 3, 2015.

1. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Only this week I came across a child born 1909, named Frederick Anniversary. Apparently born on his parent's first anniversary.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  3. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Thats amazing, those poor children saddled with that lot all their lives.

4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Let's hope they managed to make up reasonable sounding alternative names for themselves.

5. SandieCee

SandieCee LostCousins Member

My husband´s father´s first wife was named Diamond Victoria having been born at the time of Queen Victoria´s diamond jubilee in 1897.
    Whilst delving into Hickling names in the Norfolk area I came upon a Hickling marriage to a certain woman by the name of "Wellwet Slimpson" !!! ???

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Coming across an unusual surname among my ancestors always brightens my day, but I particularly like this combination. On Christmas Day 1856 at the church of St Martin, Colchester, Frederick William Louis KISS married Maria DEATH.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Do you have the certificate? It would make an interesting article for the newsletter.

(Unfortunately I can't use the parish register entry because getting permission from ERO is too time-consuming.)

8. Susan48

Unfortunately I don't have the certificate although I'm happy to order it. From the 1861 census it seems that Frederick was born abroad, although it's difficult to decipher the handwriting. (As an aside, I only found this on Ancestry. Findmypast don't seem to have transcribed any entries from this page or the preceding one.) In 1871 Maria, her children and her mother were living in St George in the East in London, but there's no sign of her husband although she says she's married, not widowed. By 1881 she's a widow. There seems to have been a concentration of families with the surname Kiss in London, some of them with German middle names. At the time of their marriage Frederick and Maria were resident in Riegate [sic], which is probably Reigate in Surrey. I am related to Maria through her mother, Eliza Langham.

9. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have a nice cheerful marriage from Nettleton, Wiltshire - Happy BUCKLE married Richard GAY on 2 Nov 1824, and thus spent the rest of her life as Happy GAY.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  10. peter

No, please don't do that on my behalf. I'll see if I can make any headway with ERO.
    I'm not sure where you were looking, but Findmypast have in the GRO marriage indexes and in their Essex Marriages And Banns 1537-1935 record set. Ancestry have it in their Essex, England, Church of England Marriages, 1754-1935 record set, which links to the images at ERO.
    They married by banns, so couldn't both have been living out of the parish, but in fact the register shows they were living at Rie Gate, now more commonly spelled Rye Gate or Ryegate, but as Eudo de Rie was in charge of Colchester under William the Conqueror the Rie spelling seems to be more authentic.

11. Susan48

I have already ordered the certificate and will let you know when it arrives.

It was the 1861 census entry that I couldn't find on Findmypast (sorry, should have made that clearer). Someone had corrected Ancestry's transcription as the image is very difficult to decipher, but in searching for other names on the same page on Findmypast, none came up.

Thank you for the explanation of Rie Gate - I hadn't known that.

12. SandieCee

SandieCee LostCousins Member

my 3 x gt grandmother was baptised Priscibella . But she was known on the census as Priscilla !

13. peter

The entire enumeration book is missing at Findmypast, as are the previous 2 enumeration books. If someone would like to carry out a full analysis of this piece I'll report it to Findmypast.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Susan48

I have carried out what I hope is an adequate analysis of this piece on Findmypast, findings below.

RG09 Piece 1099 Missing folios 69-71, 100-102, 113 onwards

15. peter

I've now received permission from Essex Record Office to use the register image in the newsletter - thanks for bringing this to my attention.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. Susan48

The certificate for the marriage between Frederick William Louis Kiss and Maria Death arrived this morning. To my surprise, a second certificate which I had not ordered was enclosed beneath it. The application number follows that of my order, so it's easy to see how the mistake occurred, and I have already notified GRO. Unfortunately the second certificate does not relate to anyone in my trees. Has anyone else received two for the price of one?