1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer. Help please

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Gill14, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Gill14

Gill14 LostCousins Star

This is my first post on the forum so forgive me if I'm not doing it correctly. I've just downloaded the Family Tree Analyzer. I uploaded a GEDCOM but it didn't see me as the root person. I've been back to my Roots Magic programme, made sure it is me that is set as the root person but FTanalyzer insists on using my husband as root person. When I click on my name (or any other for that matter) there is no pop-up that allows me to change the root person. Any advice please?

• Great question Great question x 1
  2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

After you have loaded the Gedcom file, select 'Main Lists' to display the individuals in that file and then right click on the person that you wish to be the Root Person. Finally select that action from the list which is then displayed.

There is an online manual which can be accessed via the Help function.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

The root person is identified as the 1st person in the gedcom file.
    I would suggest going to Roots Magic and selecting a different person as the root, saving it, and then go back and change it back to yourself, and saving it again. Check what it's now set at in FTA when you re-export the decom file.

4. Gill14

Gill14 LostCousins Star

Thank you both for your replies. The GEDCOM file that Roots Magic produces does not let me change the root person. I've read the FTAnalyzer online manual.
    "If you need to change the root person click on the Individuals sub tab of the Main Lists tab after you have loaded your tree. This will show you a list of people in your tree. Find the right person in this list (note you can click the headings of the columns to sort them if that makes it easier to find people). Once you have the correct person right click on their name and select the option “Set as Root Person” from the popup menu. This will then reprocess your file and recalculate the relationships. Note the GEDCOM stats page will be updated with the new details added so you can check it did it right. "
    The problem is I don't get a pop-up menu when I select my name!

5. Bryman

Make sure that you RIGHT click on the row containing your chosen individual to get the pop-up displayed next to the pointer. When I do this, I get 2 lines in the pop-up. The first is "Set as Root Person" and the second is "View Notes". A left click only selects that individual and does not offer the chance to reset the Root Person.

6. Gill14

Gill14 LostCousins Star

Finally managed to sort it out. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gill14

Gill14 LostCousins Star

Another question... I've entered a lot of relatives from the 1881 and 1841 censuses on to Lost Cousins. However using FT Analyzer I realise I am missing some, most especially the 1911 census. If I click on Update Lost Cousins site, will I lose all the additional information I have added already such as BMD's and baptism records?

8. Tim

Hi Gill, FTA only updates Lost Cousins with census data. The gedcom that you load into FTA is only a copy of your tree, so anything you do in FTA does not change anything in your original tree.

9. Gill14

Gill14 LostCousins Star

Hi Tim, thanks for your reply. I know FTA wont alter my own tree in RootsMagic. What I do not want it to do is override the information I've put in manually to LC. I've entered some 2,192 individuals from the 1841 and 1881 censuses and 30 from other censuses, but none from the 1911 census. I am 'missing' 126 individuals from the various censuses and 2,672 from 1911. Will FTA only add the records I've missed to LC?

10. Bryman

If you have not yet entered references for the 1911 E&W Census at LC then any such references which are generated and submitted from FTA will have nothing to overwrite. As Tim says, records generated from FTA only relate to census information.

11. Tim

Hi Gill,
    It doesn't override anything already in Lost Cousins, otherwise every time you ran it you'd be getting loads of duplicated records. You can see/test this. Does FTA say you have 2,192 people to load for 1841 and 1881?
    My understanding is that it does a read from Lost Cousins first, and this determines how many records you can potentially load.

12. Gill14

Gill14 LostCousins Star

FTA said I had 2,342 people to load from 1841 and 1881. Having read your replies gentlemen I've now clicked on Update. Thank you for your help.