1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Errors in Ancestry Trees

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by Willibrod, Oct 8, 2019.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Because the person is deceased I don't think there is any way to force the tree owner/Ancestry to make a correction, but you could try phoning the Information Commissioner's Office in case they have any suggestions.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. I have similar frustrations but nothing quite as ghastly as this, I sympathise.

If you have used the Comments field in the profile of the person who supposedly died by his own hand everybody who looks at that person can see your comment.
    If you have contacted the tree owner and offered to provide a copy of the death cert via personal email, there is, as Ancestry infers, nothing more you can do.

3. MegH

MegH New Member

Thank you, I've done all that you have said and am now awaiting a reply from an Ancestry Expert.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Have you messaged the tree owner or just added a comment on the person concerned? Also, have you checked when the tree owner last logged in, and if they have logged in since you posted your comment? It's possible that the tree owner hasn't yet seen the comment.

Also, has a copy of the incorrect death certificate been uploaded to the tree or has it been transcribed? If a copy has been uploaded then have you checked to see who first uploaded it & when?

I would have expected that someone who has actually purchased a death certificate to be a reasonably serious researcher, and thus more likely to be willing to change their data if shown to be incorrect. But of course, there are always exceptions.

Sorry for all the questions, but it might make a difference to what options you may have. Anyway, hopefully an Ancestry expert might be able to help further.

5. MegH

MegH New Member

Thanks Pauline, yes, I messaged the owner of the tree on 5th Sept and as yet haven't had a reply. I've just looked to see when they were last on the site (thanks for this) and it was last month - ie September so not sure if they checked or not. I've uploaded a shortened but relevant version of the death certificate and cannot see another 'incorrect' one in gallery or transcription. But you have made me look more closely at everything to check so many thanks.

6. They will only see the comment if they have ticked the Comments from other members box in their member connect activity which triggers advice that there is a comment.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

What is the default setting? I don't suppose most users know about this setting (I certainly didn't and can't find it even now).

8. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

You find it when you go to "Site Preferences", then under "New Hint notifications" there is a small blue link in the text which takes you to "Email settings".
    On the Email Settings page, the fourth option is "Family Tree Hints and updates" with a drop down menu, when you click that it shows you all your trees, again with a drop down menu. Then it gives you the options for what you receive emails for: Content, New hints, new comments, invitations.

When I looked through mine, all but one of them were set to email me. I have no idea why one of them is set to "no", other than I made it private and unsearchable.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

It's on the E-mail Settings page, under 'Family tree hints and updates', if you click on the down arrow you get a list of your trees and those shared with you. For your own trees, one of the options is:
    New comments
    Receive emails when others add comments to your tree (with radio buttons for On and Off)

I think the default setting is 'Off'. I have it set to 'On' for my public ancestors-only tree attached to my DNA test and 'Off' for my more extensive private tree. However, I don't think these email settings mean much. My setting for 'Invitations: receive an email when someone accepts an invitation to your tree' is switched off, but I received such a notification the other day, but don't receive other emails where I have the option switched on.

EDIT: Sorry to repeat what jorghes has just said. I pressed the 'Post' button just before I saw her post come up!

10. jorghes

I actually think the default is "On", since all but one of mine has that setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Helen7

You could well be right. Most of mine are 'Off' but I don't remember switching them off! Must have been a long time ago. As I said, Ancestry seem to do their own thing anyway, regardless of my email settings...

12. I feel you have disagreed with me, this is to prove I am not wrong and to show where I meant.

On your home page select See More in the Recent Member Connect Activity, you will get the screen in the attached doc..

I have blanked out the list of trees, the tick box I referred to in thread #86 is the final one on the right.

Attached Files:

13. Pauline

There seems to be a new feature in Ancestry messaging (at least, one which appeared for me only yesterday) indicating when a message was delivered or when it was read.

I am not sure how reliable it is - some of my recent messages are showing as 'delivered' even though the person has logged in since, while others are showing as 'read'. At first I though only those replied to had been marked 'read' but looking further, that's not the case.

14. I've had a look at a random selection of my messages, going back to February. It seems that every message I have written has 'read' plus a time underneath and to the right of the text.
    I haven't seen any that have 'delivered'.
    I can see, and this disturbs me, blanks where the other party has deleted what they said. I do not like that feature at all.

15. Pauline

It doesn’t seem to show both so I guess if all yours say ‘read’ you won’t see ‘delivered’.

16. Helen7

Thanks. I don't often look at these, but I see all the options are ticked for me too. I suppose it depends how frequently the person looks at the 'Recent Member Connect Activity', as it doesn't seem to trigger an email.

17. Helen7

I noticed this feature several months ago in my messages. Some say 'read' and some 'delivered'. Where they have replied, it always has 'read' but the non-replies show a mixture.

18. Pauline

I was only switched to the new messaging a few weeks ago so maybe that is why I am only now seeing this feature.

19. jorghes

Definitely wasn't disagreeing, more like confusion - I don't tend to look at the member activity because I'm rarely on the "dashboard" page of Ancestry. I tend to have either my tree already open, or hints open. (I'm one of those ones who leaves multiple tabs open at once, almost all the time.)

So I went looking for where you could control notifications for emails in regards to comments, because that's what I thought we were looking for!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pauline

I think I have lost confidence in this feature. I just sent a message to a new DNA match and it immediately showed as 'Read' with the exact same time that I sent it. And since the recipient was not showing as active at Ancestry it seems to me extremely unlikely that they will even have had chance to read it yet.