1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problems with Ancestry - where shall I start?

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, I got that, but the ‘Check for updates’ button disappears when you have updates available, and is only there when there aren’t any updates showing.

I think I am right in saying that feature updates no longer happen automatically, so unless you select to download and install it, it won’t happen.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Athome in NZ :
    Pauline is right everything is waiting for you to download and install. I think you may be waiting for the mountain to come to you, but in the Microsoft world, this does not always happen, or at least not in the short term, only when Microsoft gets round to it. The only way to be sure you are up to date is to manually check through Settings/Update.

If you haven't already, download/install the first two (1903) items. When complete you may be shown additional updates(1903 and or 1909) or you need to check for these by clicking on 'Check for Updates'. Action any shown in the same way and you may finally be offered the Feature update (and you will notice this is already waiting in the wings -shown in blue). In practice you need to complete the Cumulative and other updates before you can download/install the Feature one. The Feature update normally needs to be manually activated although Microsoft may take the initiative if you take your time accepting. Remember the 'Feature' update (2004) is a major one and it will take time to complete, including a few reboots and a final install. Although you can continue using the device, best advice is to use another computer or get on with something else.

I hope the above is not too complicated for you and just try to check on updates at least once a week, and not wait for Microsoft to alert you it is time to reboot and install.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes normally correct, except as I mentioned above if the download is not actioned within a reasonable time of it being offered (the time varies) it will auto download and THEN require you to action the installation, or defer to suit.