1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

But your tree is unique (and, no doubt, has documentary support) but his is the same as 27 other Ancestry trees (which have no supporting evidence), so it must be correct :rolleyes: It could be worse (I think), you could have Jones=Davies families in Wales and keep disagreeing with yourself :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 43 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 20,519 new entries have been added and
    • 685 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Entries and New Matches are both up this week. Well done everyone for matching with your Cousins!
    And the competition has not finished but is due to at the end of the month, who's going to win that top prize? Someone from the forum? Let's get busy entering all our relatives so we're in for a better chance of winning.
    I've entered some new relatives which I found by using FTA. I used the colour reports to show me which people didn't have an 1881 census, and then spent time searching for them and managed to find a few.
    Consequently, my Match Potential has increased.

There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, and you may find yourselves with some spare time now, so enter those relatives and be lucky in the competition.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Remember to stay at home and social distancing. #Staysafe

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2020-5-29_10-16-24.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 32 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 9,614 new entries have been added and
    • 534 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers down this week but new entries is still above the last 4 months average. Well done everyone for matching with your Cousins!
    And the competition has not finished but is due to at the end of the month, who's going to win that top prize? Someone from the forum? Let's get busy entering all our relatives so we're in for a better chance of winning.
    I'm entering some new relatives which I found by using FTA. I used the "People Missing a UK 1881 Census" to show me which people don't have an 1881 census, and then spent time searching for them and managed to find a few. But still a long way to go :)

Consequently, my Match Potential has increased.

There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, and you may find yourselves with some spare time now, so enter those relatives and be lucky in the competition.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Remember to stay at home and social distancing. #Staysafe

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-6-5_10-15-43.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  4. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Where did you find the "People Missing a UK 1881 Census" in FTA? I just uploaded it and did the update to LC but do not see that option. Most of those added via an update were already there but with a different birth date, so are duplicated.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Look under the main Census tab. Select "UK Census 1881" as the Census Date on the left hand side and then "Show Not Found on Census" on the line below, headed Census Record Reports.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 31 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 8,072 new entries have been added and
    • 579 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers but relatives matched are down this week but still a great set of numbers. Well done everyone for matching with your Cousins!
    I'm entering some new relatives which I found by using FTA. I used the "People Missing a UK 1881 Census" to show me which people don't have an 1881 census, and then spent time searching for them and managed to find a few. But still a long way to go :)

My Match Potential has increased again this week, all due to the number of relatives getting added, well done everyone.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-6-12_10-17-54.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 73 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 10,727 new entries have been added and
    • 519 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. So a complete reversal from last week, all numbers but relatives matched are up this week and still a great set of numbers. Well done everyone for matching with your Cousins!
    And the competition has not finished but is due to at the end of the month, who's going to win that top prize? Someone from the forum? Less than 2 weeks to go so let's get busy entering all our relatives so we're in for a better chance of winning.
    I've made some good progress using this report, sadly found quite a few that had died before 1881 but I have tidied my tree up a lot.

My Match Potential has increased again this week, all due to the number of relatives getting added, well done everyone.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-6-19_10-19-11.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Have you found new collateral lines as a result of DNA matches? Thanks to DNA I've added more 1881 entries in the past year than in the previous 5.

9. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 49 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,449 new entries have been added and
    • 300 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are down this week and but still not too shabby. Well done everyone for matching with your Cousins!
    And the competition has not finished but is due to at the end of the month, who's going to win that top prize? Someone from the forum? This the last week so let's get busy entering all our relatives so we're in for a better chance of winning.
    I've made some good progress using this report, sadly found quite a few that had died before 1881 but I have tidied my tree up a lot.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-6-26_10-0-8.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. peter

And the numbers are significantly better than the corresponding week last year - well done everyone who has contributed!

11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 39 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 6,549 new entries have been added and
    • 332 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Entries and Relatives Matched are both up this week, did you make a match?
    The competition was scheduled to finish but who knows? Was the top prize won?

There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, so enter those relatives and match with your cousins.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-7-3_10-21-17.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. peter

Sadly the top prize hasn't been won. The question is whether to keep the competition going or allow to lapse at the end of June and relaunch it later in the year.

What do others think? Remember that the primary aim is not to dole out prizes, but to encourage members to connect with their cousins - something that benefits the community as a whole.

13. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I would end this competition, and then later in the year offer it as a prize again? Maybe choose a different person next time?

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 23 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,841 new entries have been added and
    • 117 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are down this week, not surprising really, we've had a lot of new entries over the last few weeks.
    I made a few new contacts over the competition period, how did you do?

There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, so enter those relatives and match with your cousins.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-7-10_12-0-14.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 75 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,250 new entries have been added and
    • 248 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are up this week, big rise in New Members so hopefully they will add lots of their relatives and then potentially more matches for all of us.
    The ratio of new entries to relatives matched was 13.1, on average every 13th relative added got a match.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-7-17_10-12-17.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 36 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,460 new entries have been added and
    • 294 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Entries and Relatives Matched are up this week, big rise in New Members from last week has resulted in lots of New Entries and Relatives Matched. Well done to all.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-7-24_9-57-26.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. peter

Please note that the numbers are likely to take a dive this week as a member who was running a One-Name Study with thousands of entries and lots of connections has left.

18. I didn't get an email alert to say you had made a comment, or for the latest advice from Red Dragon. I am getting alerts for other discussions.
    I can see I am following this discussion.

19. peter

I'm afraid there's nothing that I can do about it - these things happen now and again. If Ancestry with all their resources and employees can't get their site to work perfectly you can't expect perfection from a free forum.

20. I got an email for this one, thanks for your time.