1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Potential security vulnerability at the MacKiev Company, which owns Family Tree Maker software

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by At home in NZ, Jul 23, 2020.

1. I have an email alerting me to this blog.
    Personally I cannot see the benefit in changing passwords.
    While in FTM you can log into Ancestry but you cannot do it vice versa. I never log out of either.
    Do I need to be worried??

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Interesting, I didn't get that email at all, and I use FTM and Ancestry.

Sounds like a better safe than sorry suggestion.

3. If you haven't signed up for the blog you won't get any emails about it.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There are more details here. There seems to be no evidence that the vulnerability was exploited by bad actors, but it would be safest to follow the advice.

If you've used the same password at other sites you need to update them as well.

Note: this is a good time to remind you that you are advised not to use your LostCousins password at any other site (apart from this forum, should you choose to do so).

5. I only ever use a password for one site.
    Thanks for the further details.
    Is it worth putting an alert in your next newsletter? Because, not everybody can see the Forum and not everybody is signed up to Ancestry blog.

6. peter

Everyone can see the forum - but only forum members can post or view attachments. However I'll probably mention it anyway as it's not the only security alert this week (GEDmatch is another one).

7. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have a huge list of passwords in a little book and pretty much every site I visit has a different one, except for possibly a few that do not matter one way or another. I recently changed the Lost Cousins one, as well as Ancestry.

8. peter

A lot of people use password managers - LastPass is particularly popular (and the basic version is free).

9. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Could this be why my FTM program will not open?

10. My mistake, sorry. I doubt if all LC members look at the Forum, could be wrong though.

11. peter

They certainly won't if they think they can get all the information they need from the newsletter.