1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Questions.

Discussion in 'Key features of the LostCousins site' started by kiwilong, Jul 9, 2020.

1. kiwilong

kiwilong LostCousins Member

Hello moderator.
    A recent post of mine seems to have attracted a superimposed photo on top of my photo and also an icon, namely a pair of spectacles.what do these additions refer to, am I doing something wrong?
    Thankyou.
    kiwilong.

2. I am not a moderator but out of curiosity I took a look at your most recent post, according to your profile it is the post about 3 great aunts. In that post your photo looks perfectly normal, it also looks normal in the list of posts in your Profile.
    Can you provide a screen shot, whole screen and not just your photo, so we can all see what you mean.

3. kiwilong

Hello At home in NZ.
    Attached is a screen shot.
    Thanks for your interest.
    kiwilong. Screenshot_20200709-194956_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200709-194956_Chrome.jpg

4. Wow, that's a big shot! this is what I see, and you can see other members have additional squares so I don't think there is anything to worry about.
    upload_2020-7-9_21-19-4.png

5. kiwilong

Thanks.
    Interesting. I see that the other common thing is the spectacle icon.
    I thought it was just on my post so as you say, nothing special but it must mean something.
    kiwilong.

6. That indicates you are watching the discussion/thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

As At Home mentions, the spectacles means you are following the conversation and will get notifications if new posts are made in the discussion.
    The Pin icon means it's pinned to the top, otherwise the list shows all the latest items.

8. kiwilong

Thankyou Tim.

9. Tim

Pleasure. Also you can place your cursor over the icon and a hovertip will get displayed. :)

10. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

As far as I can tell, the small photo (or blank image!) is just an indication that you have contributed to the discussion started by the member in the large photo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. This may not be the right place to raise this but I did not get email notification when Peter and Heather responded to my question about Deceased online
    I have had email notification about everything else I am following.

12. Tim

Well you can follow posts and turn off email notifications, or it could be an issue with the email provider?

13. The discussion has 'unfollow discussion' at the top, therefore it's not turned off.
    I wouldn't be writing this now if I hadn't had an email to advise me, so it's not the email provider.

14. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Are you sure you accepted the option to be advised by email, rather than follow WITHOUT notification (both options are offered when you 'first' click on 'Follow Discussion') so worth checking out. After that things are automatic, you do or you don't get notifications. Of course that still leaves the gremlins of the internet to intervene to prevent an email getting through, but mainly it is just down to how you elect to follow a discussion.

15. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

If email notifications are turned on then, as Bob says, an email alert will be sent automatically. However, isolated or intermittent problems can sometimes occur anywhere en route from one server to another, and are not necessarily with your email provider.

If it happens just once it may be best ignored as 'one of those things' - but keep an eye on it. If emails to a forum member start bouncing regularly then Peter will likely make you aware of this, and you will likely need details of the bounce message to investigate further.

16. I am sure because the options are both selected when you create the discussion. I never turn off the email notification.
    I've been down that track some months ago when my ISP was blocking LC emails, Peter sorted it out and I have not had any problems since.
    I am hoping the non notification of replies to the discussion I started is a one off.

17. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Your email wasn't sent - the error message was "5.7.1 Relaying denied. Proper authentication required". Hopefully it was a one-off.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Rather than get too hung up on causes of email notifications not arriving, I suggest that members try using the "New Posts" tab at the top of the page. That way one gets to see all discussions with added posts regardless of whether one is following those discussions or not. In any case, one cannot be following someone else's newly created discussion initially.

I still get notifications for some additions which then prompts me to go and have a look but find that "New Posts" catches everything, regardless of relevance to me or time available to pursue further immediately. Even if not relevant to me initially, some discussions can suddenly shoot off in a different direction which may then become relevant.

• Agree Agree x 8
  19. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

It is my practice to open the Forum shortly after logging on (before checking emails) and I first check 'Alerts' . If there are some I open them and may post a reply or leave to later, but I do not go on to other things until I have checked out 'New Posts. By this method of course email 'Alert' notifications are obsolete and get deleted. Despite this I prefer to opt for email notification, if for no other reason that later in the day I may spot a new one which prompts me to return to the Forum. So I agree with Bryman it is far easier to rely on the Forum than to rely solely on emails.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. I do, but it does not show your own new post.

The Forum is part of the suite of websites that open when I open Chrome
    When I log on I open Chrome, then my emails. If there are no emails relating to LC Forum I then go to the LC tab in Chrome and click on New Posts.
    I don't generally look at the Alerts because they are the same as the emails.

• Agree Agree x 1