1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

19th Century Wills.

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by Stephen49., Jun 14, 2020.

1. Stephen49.

Stephen49. LostCousins Superstar

I have found several Wills from the 19th Century that states the value being left by the deceased is, for example "under £2000".
    Can anyone help me with understanding this. Why does it say 'under' ?
    If the value is say £1,500, then why not say £1,500.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Stephen49

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have also seen statements like that and assumed that different actions need to be taken if an estate is valued at more than a certain value. For instance, on some occasions there has been a later record altering the stated value of an estate and perhaps that is unnecessary for those instances where the value is under a certain threshold. These cut-off values do seem to increase over time so it probably is just a matter of trying to simplify the administration in those cases where an exact valuation is not significant.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I believe it's to do with death duties/inheritance tax. You might find this article interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stephen49.

Stephen49. LostCousins Superstar

Thank you very much Bryman and Tim for your feedback, which was interesting and helpful. Now I can appreciate that we might never know the exact value of an estate but pretty close.