1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

marriage/names

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by SLJ, Jun 3, 2020.

1. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Hello, does anyone know, was it common for the name Jean to be recorded as Joan?
    I am looking for a marriage between Jean Miller and Thomas Potts in the Bishop Auckland area around 1941. (Jean was born 1921/22 and was told she was 19 when married) The nearest match I can find (looked in all the usual places) Is a Thomas Potts to Joan Miller 1941 Durham Western. Is Joan Jean?
    Thank you

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

From your description it seems that you've found a GRO index entry. It's common for the typewritten letters 'e' and 'o' to be confused, as anyone who has used an old typewriter with a fabric ribbon will know. But I don't know how the indexes were compiled at that time - in the 19th century they supposedly used handwritten slips, and it's possible that they later migrated to typewriters for the sorting process.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

The odds of it being anyone other than the Jean you are seeking is too remote to consider when you take into account the same named spouse, same place and same area. Even without bringing into play the Occam's Razor* principle I would think there is little doubt that Joan was a misreading of Jean, for whatever reason.

*the simplest assumption is often the correct one

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

I am more cautious than Bob - I don't think you should make any assumptions until you have seen the marriage certificate, particularly since the information you already have seems to be rather imprecise.

5. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Thanks, I have now sent for the marriage certificate.

6. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

The marriage certificate has arrived, but it still says Joan, and signature is Joan, unless for some peculiar reason they didn't sign it and vicar wrote the names. Is this something that would happen in 1941? The residence, fathers and witness all collate with other information. So any ideas why they all called her Jean? The birth is recorded as Jean. Thnak you in advance.

8. peter

You didn't mention whether you ordered the GRO certificate or the local certificate, but presumably it was the former. If they married in church the GRO entry will have been entirely written out by the vicar - that's how the system worked. As you know from Susan, the local index records the name correctly as Jean, so it would seem that you have the vicar to blame for the error.

I suggest you send a copy of the certificate you purchased to the local register office and ask them to notify the GRO that an error has been made. Even if the GRO are prepared to update their register it won't change the indexes, but it will hopefully prevent incorrect certificates being issued by the GRO in future. Once the GRO have corrected their register they might provide you with an amended certificate if you push hard enough - it will make an interesting case study.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Thank you Peter I have learn't something new. I will do as suggested. I won't order through GRO again for marriage.

10. peter

It's probably not a good idea to order certificates from a local register office unless you can be sure that they can (and will) provide a facsimile of the register entry. Not all register offices have the equipment, and not all have the time.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Peter I just wanted to let you know I have had a successful outcome. I contacted both Durham and GRO. Durham sent to Bishop Auckland and they have been in touch today, their reg says Jean, they have offered to send the right copy in lieu, if I send the one I got to them. Plus it will be an actual copy not a typed version, even better.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2020
  12. peter

Ezcellent - thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1